Volunteers to take over council nurseries in plan to save £180k
- Credit: Archant
Nurseries run by the council could be handed over to volunteers in a plan to save £180,000.
Redbridge Council is looking at transferring the running of nurseries at Redbridge College, Loxford, Ray Lodge and Hainault to the private or voluntary sector in an effort to cut costs.
The plans will be discussed at the children and young people’s service committee on Wednesday.
The report said the plan built on a decision made as part of the council’s budget setting for 2014-15.
“It is anticipated that this saving of £180,000 can now be made as result of the redesigning of the nurseries operated by the council,” it said.
You may also want to watch:
If approved, the running Loxford Nursery would be taken over by Barnardo’s, which already owns the building.
The Redbridge College Nursery would be run by the college, with Ray Lodge Nursery in Woodford Green and Hainault Nursery being run by external providers.
- 1 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 2 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 9 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
- 10 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
Cllr Elaine Norman, cabinet member for children and young people, said: “This isn’t about changing the standard of our nurseries, which we are very happy with. This is about upholding those standards while reducing the financial pressure on the council.
“It’s important that we ensure that the borough’s children are getting the best level of nursery care while we address the financial challenges facing us.”