Volunteers to take over council nurseries in plan to save £180k
- Credit: Archant
Nurseries run by the council could be handed over to volunteers in a plan to save £180,000.
Redbridge Council is looking at transferring the running of nurseries at Redbridge College, Loxford, Ray Lodge and Hainault to the private or voluntary sector in an effort to cut costs.
The plans will be discussed at the children and young people’s service committee on Wednesday.
The report said the plan built on a decision made as part of the council’s budget setting for 2014-15.
“It is anticipated that this saving of £180,000 can now be made as result of the redesigning of the nurseries operated by the council,” it said.
You may also want to watch:
If approved, the running Loxford Nursery would be taken over by Barnardo’s, which already owns the building.
The Redbridge College Nursery would be run by the college, with Ray Lodge Nursery in Woodford Green and Hainault Nursery being run by external providers.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 4 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 5 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 6 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 7 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 10 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
Cllr Elaine Norman, cabinet member for children and young people, said: “This isn’t about changing the standard of our nurseries, which we are very happy with. This is about upholding those standards while reducing the financial pressure on the council.
“It’s important that we ensure that the borough’s children are getting the best level of nursery care while we address the financial challenges facing us.”