‘Violent’ men jailed for robbing and beating pensioner in Ilford
Two men have been jailed for robbing and attacking a 70-year-old man in Ilford earlier this year.
Mustafa Hajinoor, of Wanstead Park Road, Ilford, was sentenced to four years and six months, and Mohammed Hassan, of Parsloes Avenue, Dagenham, was given five years and six months at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Tuesday.
The victim was driving down Henley Road at 5.30am on March 8 when he pulled over to answer his phone.
Hajinoor, 22, and Hassan, 25, who was wearing a mask, approached the car to ask for a cigarette.
But the men then demanded money from the pensioner and Hassan threatened to stab the victim if he did not hand cash over.
You may also want to watch:
The victim thought he saw a knife in Hassan’s waistband but did not give anything to the men.
Hajinoor, a labourer, and Hassan, unemployed, punched the victim several times and were taking his property when a resident came out to help.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 3 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 6 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 7 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 8 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 9 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 10 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
But he left after being threatened with being stabbed and Hajinoor and Hassan carried on punching the elderly man.
The attackers fled when police arrived at the scene but officers caught them after a chase on foot.
Hajinoor had the victim’s property, including a mobile phone, and the knife was recovered at the scene.
Det Con Chris Christoforou, of Ilford CID, said: “Hassan and Hajinoor are a pair of violent individuals who, armed with a knife and a mask to try and hide their identity, went out with the intention of robbing anyone they felt was easy prey.
“I would like to thank the victim and witness for their courage in coming forward and giving evidence.
“The prison sentences given reflect the seriousness of this offence, as the value of the mobile phone was only �100 if they had got away with it.”