Violence outside South Woodford nightclub like a ‘horror movie’, says councillor
Violence outside a South Woodford nightclub resembled a “horror movie” according to a councillor who has seen CCTV footage of the mass brawl.
Around 50 people fought outside Funky Mojoe in High Road, Woodford Green, in the early hours of Sunday morning with belts and bottles used as weapons.
Cllr Richard Hoskins, of Church End ward, has called for a full licence review by Redbridge Council.
Residents have previously raised concerns about anti-social behaviour associated with the nightspot at public meetings.
The punch-up, which Cllr Hoskins described as a “vicious affray”, happened near the Manor Court Lodge retirement estate in High Road.
You may also want to watch:
Resident Lynda Edwards said: “It was really mad. Men and women were screaming, it was terrible.
“It was like a riot.”
- 1 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 2 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 4 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 9 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 10 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
Speaking at an area committee meeting in Woodford Green last night, Sgt Chris Chandler said there were no signs of the fight when police arrived on the scene.
One man was treated for facial injuries by London Ambulance Service and a Redbridge Police spokesman said an investigation is ongoing.
Cllr Hoskins viewed CCTV footage taken from Manor Court Lodge which has now been given to the police.
He said: “I’ve never seen such awful and horrendous violence except on a horror movie. Men and women were slugging it out. The residents were terrifed and were ringing for help.”
He added: “There needs to be a major investigation with the police.
“By the time they arrived it was peaceable but hopefully they can get enough evidence from CCTV and from Funky Mojoe. Maybe Funky Mojoe can identify them? “The continuing pattern of events and delays before Redbridge [Council] takes action are adding to misery of long suffering residents.
“It is not acceptable.”
Redbridge police said no arrests have been made.
A Redbridge Council spokesman said: “The council is currently considering this incident along with other incidents that have taken place near the venue in recent months.
“We will shortly be agreeing appropriate action to take using the powers that exist under the licensing laws and will notify the relevant parties once a decision has been made.”
The management of Funky Mojoe was not available to comment.