VIDEO: Motorcyclist stopped in Chigwell after recording ‘highest speed ever’
- Credit: Archant
A man who police believe has recorded the highest speed ever by a motorcyclist in the UK while carrying a pillion passenger has been banned from driving.
Paul Roberts, 43, of Malkin Drive, Harlow, reached up to 148mph and was banned for 15 months after he was eventually stopped and summonsed by a police officer on a motorbike in Chigwell.
Roberts, a taxi firm owner, was filmed by a camera on an Essex Police officer’s motorcycle after he joined the southbound M11 at Hastingwood on his Kawasaki ZZR 1400 with a friend as passenger in September last year.
Roberts, who admitted speeding at Chelmsford Crown Court yesterday, was ordered to do 120 hours community service, take an extended re-test and pay £460 in costs.
The video footage captured the motorcyclist weaving across three lanes and riding through a narrow gap between a lorry and a car.
You may also want to watch:
Sgt Nick Edwards said: “The levels of harm to which Paul Roberts subjected himself, his pillion passenger, the public and my officer are just beyond comprehension.
“These speeds are for race tracks not public roads. This riding behaviour will not be tolerated on Essex roads and the court have clearly recognised the consequences of the riders actions in the punishment that has been awarded.”
- 1 Surplus of primary school places now but shortage expected within 10 years
- 2 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 3 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 4 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 7 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 8 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 9 Life sentence for Chigwell man convicted of murder
- 10 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman
He added: “The Essex Police Casualty Reduction Section continues to focus on targeting drivers and riders that through their actions pose the greatest risk of harm to themselves and other road users.”
Sgt Edwards said that Pc Hills and other Essex Police motorcyclists were carrying out a specific operation targeting motorcycle commuters using the M11.