VIDEO: Dramatic CCTV of Hainault shopkeeper taking on gunman with wooden stool
- Credit: Archant
An armed crook in the middle of a crime spree around the capital got more than he bargained for when he came to Hainault.
After firing warning shots in the air, he demanded shopkeeper Thurairagh Pir-abahuran put all the cash
from the till into a bag.
This shopkeeper, however, had a different idea. Grab-bing the stool he had been sitting on, Mr Pirabahuran went on the attack, repeatedly shoving it at the gun-man, causing him to flee empty-handed. Mr Pirabahuran, 41, part owner of Hainault Food and Wine, New North Road, said: “I didn’t want to give him the money so I picked up the stool and hit him with it.”
The raider was Sheldon Green, 23, of Hackney, who was jailed for five years on Friday.
You may also want to watch:
He was finally captured when he stole a phone with a tracking device appli-cation on it and was pursued by offices in a dramatic chase which ended with him jumping into a canal.
Det Sgt Neil Turner from the Barking Flying Squad said: “There was a foot chase and then Green jumped into
- 1 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 2 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 3 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
- 4 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 5 Council left homeless family 'stuck in cycle of instability', report finds
- 6 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 7 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 8 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 9 Two in five people in Redbridge may have had Covid, data shows
- 10 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman
the canal. Only he knows why he did this. Officers surrounded him and fished him out.”