VIDEO: Dramatic CCTV of Hainault shopkeeper taking on gunman with wooden stool
- Credit: Archant
An armed crook in the middle of a crime spree around the capital got more than he bargained for when he came to Hainault.
After firing warning shots in the air, he demanded shopkeeper Thurairagh Pir-abahuran put all the cash
from the till into a bag.
This shopkeeper, however, had a different idea. Grab-bing the stool he had been sitting on, Mr Pirabahuran went on the attack, repeatedly shoving it at the gun-man, causing him to flee empty-handed. Mr Pirabahuran, 41, part owner of Hainault Food and Wine, New North Road, said: “I didn’t want to give him the money so I picked up the stool and hit him with it.”
The raider was Sheldon Green, 23, of Hackney, who was jailed for five years on Friday.
You may also want to watch:
He was finally captured when he stole a phone with a tracking device appli-cation on it and was pursued by offices in a dramatic chase which ended with him jumping into a canal.
Det Sgt Neil Turner from the Barking Flying Squad said: “There was a foot chase and then Green jumped into
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 5 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
- 10 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
the canal. Only he knows why he did this. Officers surrounded him and fished him out.”