VIDEO: CCTV footage of Ilford murder suspects released
- Credit: Archant
CCTV footage of two murder suspects fleeing the scene of the crime has been released by police hunting the killers.
A Crimewatch appeal to find two men who ‘executed’ an Ilford doorman in 1996, has seen new names and information brought to light.
The appeal aired on BBC One last week and featured a reconstruction of the event which saw 30-year-old Christopher Lombard shot twice in the head while on duty at The Island, a former nightclub in Ilford High Road.
This month marks the 17-year-anniversary of the murder, which took place on December 1, 1996. No-one has ever been charged.
Det Insp Robert Pack described the murder as “cold blooded, ruthless” and “tantamount to execution”.
Two men who had earlier been turned away from the club, returned to fire seven bullets through the glass door, killing Mr Lombard and injuring two others.
An unmarked police car which happened to be passing, filmed the two suspects as they ran away along Green Lane and into a silver car parked between Connaught Lane and St Mary’s Road. The car drove off east along Green Lane towards Goodmayes and Beacontree Heath.
- 1 Air ambulance lands after man stabbed in South Woodford
- 2 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Valentines Park
- 3 Homes under the Planner: Applications approved or refused in Redbridge
- 4 Man denies committing GBH during alleged robbery at Barkingside Tesco
- 5 Guilty: Hainault man admits traffic light stabbing
- 6 Teen found guilty of robbing boy, 12, in Romford while carrying knife
- 7 Most wanted: 7 people sought in connection with 11 robberies across London
- 8 How many Covid patients are in hospital in east London this week?
- 9 Goodmayes fatal stabbing: Double murder trial set to open
- 10 Second Redbridge care home struck by fire caused by discarded cigarettes
Mr Lombard’s 83-year-old mother Thelma made an emotional plea on the programme for justice to be done in her lifetime, saying the news of his death “almost killed her”.
Since the appeal, two new possible names for the suspects have been put forward “as well as some interesting new information”.
Det Insp Pack said the new names and information were “very good news”, adding: “This was a major incident. People will have bragged about it as that’s the sort of individuals we’re talking about. Those people who heard that, need to ring us.”
One of the suspects is described as a dark-skinned black man, aged 17-20 at the time, 5ft 8ins with hair shaved at the sides and closely cropped on top. He had a small circular scar above his right eye and another circular scar right of his mouth.
The second suspect is described as Mediterranean, 5ft 10ins, aged 18-25 at the time with dark hair and a moustache.
Anyone with information can contact the incident room on 020 8345 3868 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.