UPDATE: Trio on the run after armed robbery in Gants Hill pawnbroker
- Credit: Archant
One woman and two men are being hunted by police after an armed robbery at a pawnbroker in Gants Hill.
Armed police were called to Maxcroft pawnbroker in Eastern Avenue at about 2.45pm this afternoon.
A taser was discharged during the robbery and a white female and two black males left the scene on foot.
Officers are looking for the trio and have drawn in help from the police helicopter and dog unit as well as the flying squad.
Fifteen minutes later, police were called to nearby Brisbane Road, Gants Hill, close to Valentines Park, where a Ford Mondeo was set alight.
Firefighters put out the blaze and the car is understood to be part of the police’s inquiries.
Roger Watts, 56, of Brisbane Road, Gants Hill, said: “I was in the garden then heard two pops and thought it was strange. It was the tires exploding.”
- 1 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 2 Mercato Metropolitano to host taster market in Ilford
- 3 Thief threatened woman with bottle at Ilford High Road Sainsbury's Local
- 4 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 5 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 6 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 7 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 8 Covid-19: How Redbridge's current figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 Which Underground lines are affected today
- 10 Festivities planned to mark Ilford's Christmas lights switch-on
The car was completely burnt out and was removed by a contactor at about 4.30pm.
Mr Watts said: “It was a bit scary really. It was like a film. The armed police turned up with pistols and riffles.”
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact Det Con Mike Baines at the Serious & Organised Crime unit on 020 8345 4226 or, if you wish to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.