UPDATE: Trio on the run after armed robbery in Gants Hill pawnbroker
- Credit: Archant
One woman and two men are being hunted by police after an armed robbery at a pawnbroker in Gants Hill.
Armed police were called to Maxcroft pawnbroker in Eastern Avenue at about 2.45pm this afternoon.
A taser was discharged during the robbery and a white female and two black males left the scene on foot.
Officers are looking for the trio and have drawn in help from the police helicopter and dog unit as well as the flying squad.
Fifteen minutes later, police were called to nearby Brisbane Road, Gants Hill, close to Valentines Park, where a Ford Mondeo was set alight.
Firefighters put out the blaze and the car is understood to be part of the police’s inquiries.
Roger Watts, 56, of Brisbane Road, Gants Hill, said: “I was in the garden then heard two pops and thought it was strange. It was the tires exploding.”
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of Ilford murder as police name victim
- 2 Murder investigation launched after woman fatally attacked in Ilford
- 3 Tributes paid to law graduate murdered as she walked home in Ilford
- 4 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Valentines Park
- 5 Air ambulance lands after man stabbed in South Woodford
- 6 Homes under the Planner: Applications approved or refused in Redbridge
- 7 Man denies committing GBH during alleged robbery at Barkingside Tesco
- 8 Guilty: Hainault man admits traffic light stabbing
- 9 Found: Missing girl who was believed to have travelled to east London
- 10 Second Redbridge care home struck by fire caused by discarded cigarettes
The car was completely burnt out and was removed by a contactor at about 4.30pm.
Mr Watts said: “It was a bit scary really. It was like a film. The armed police turned up with pistols and riffles.”
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact Det Con Mike Baines at the Serious & Organised Crime unit on 020 8345 4226 or, if you wish to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.