UPDATE: Police increase patrols in Redbridge after two men shot on the same day
Police have increased patrols after two men in their 20s were shot less than four miles apart on Saturday in quiet residential roads.
No arrests have been made after a 26-year-old man was shot in the chest and legs outside his home in Fairfield Road, Ilford, at 5.45pm.
Neighbour Foyzur Rahman said: “I was sat in my garden when I heard shots being fired but I thought it was probably just someone messing around.
“When I opened my door I could see one of my neighbours lying on the pavement and his mum crying by his side. I called an ambulance but he looked in a bad way. His face was turning different colours. He couldn’t speak very well.”
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said they believed the shots were fired by a pillion rider on a red motorbike.
You may also want to watch:
An earlier incident saw a man in his 20s also shot in the chest in Grove Road, Chadwell Heath, at 1.20am.
Both men were taken to hospital and are said to be in a critical but stable condition.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 6 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 7 Goodmayes racer Alex Lynn and title leader Sam Bird preview London E-Prix
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 10 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
Supt Michael Forbes said: “I want to reassure those who live and work in Redbridge that my officers are working closely with the local community and the local authority with regards to the recent shootings in the borough.
“The increased number of shootings is thankfully a rare occurrence for Redbridge, however, we are not complacent and as such we have increased patrols in the areas affected and are working closely with the MPS Trident Gang Crime Command who are leading the investigation.
“At the moment officers are keeping an open mind in relation to the motives for the shootings.”
Police are said to be investigating whether an arson attack on four top-of-the-range sports cars on July 18, which belonged to the Ilford victim, are linked with the shooting.
The incidents follow a recent double-shooting in Mortlake Road, Ilford, on Monday of last week, which was also thought to involve a gunman on a motorbike.
Three men aged 18-21 were arrested in Romford on suspicion of attempted murder.
If you have any information on these incidents, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.