‘Twenty men’ brawl in Gants Hill started after liquid sprayed in shop
- Credit: Archant
A brawl involving more than “20 people” escalated on to the street on Tuesday in front of “shocked” residents.
Cllr Khayer Chowdhury, 25, of Gaysham Avenue, Gants Hill, and a neighbour were forced to step in to stop one of two men “from getting his head kicked in” before calling the police.
Cllr Chowdhury was outside his house on the road when he saw a group of men chasing two men at around 8.45pm into the nearby Woodford Avenue.
The two men had allegedly attempted to steal from a nearby convenience store, where one is accused of spraying a liquid into the shop, police have said.
Medical treatment was later given to six people sprayed by the liquid.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking to the Recorder, Cllr Chowdhury said: “It suddenly kicked off because these two guys could not run away anymore.
“One of the guys was on the floor and his head was being used as a football and he was having the living daylights kicked out of him.”
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 8 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
Cllr Chowdhury said anti-social behaviour was not uncommon on the road, but he added: “I have never seen anything like this before.”
He added that he believed it would not take long for the men to be caught because two CCTV cameras are positioned on the road.
“I was trying to plead with the guys to stop beating him up,” he said.
“But they were saying that it was nothing to do with me and the last thing I wanted was to get my head kicked in.”
No arrests have been made.
Police are continuing with their investigation.