‘Twenty men’ brawl in Gants Hill started after liquid sprayed in shop
- Credit: Archant
A brawl involving more than “20 people” escalated on to the street on Tuesday in front of “shocked” residents.
Cllr Khayer Chowdhury, 25, of Gaysham Avenue, Gants Hill, and a neighbour were forced to step in to stop one of two men “from getting his head kicked in” before calling the police.
Cllr Chowdhury was outside his house on the road when he saw a group of men chasing two men at around 8.45pm into the nearby Woodford Avenue.
The two men had allegedly attempted to steal from a nearby convenience store, where one is accused of spraying a liquid into the shop, police have said.
Medical treatment was later given to six people sprayed by the liquid.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking to the Recorder, Cllr Chowdhury said: “It suddenly kicked off because these two guys could not run away anymore.
“One of the guys was on the floor and his head was being used as a football and he was having the living daylights kicked out of him.”
- 1 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Chadwell Heath academy
- 2 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 3 Police and council join forces to help raise Covid awareness
- 4 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 5 Council must pay £4,500 for failing disabled brothers
- 6 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 9 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 10 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
Cllr Chowdhury said anti-social behaviour was not uncommon on the road, but he added: “I have never seen anything like this before.”
He added that he believed it would not take long for the men to be caught because two CCTV cameras are positioned on the road.
“I was trying to plead with the guys to stop beating him up,” he said.
“But they were saying that it was nothing to do with me and the last thing I wanted was to get my head kicked in.”
No arrests have been made.
Police are continuing with their investigation.