Trio who tried to hack off man’s hand in Ilford with 12-inch knife being hunted by police
Three robbers who beat a man to the ground before one tried to hack his hand off using a 12in knife are being hunted by police.
The trio were trying to steal the 27-year-old man’s suitcase after attacking him in Riverdene Road, close to its junction with Brittania Road, Ilford.
Police say the men were constantly trying to grab the purple suitcase he was holding as they beat him to the floor.
One of the men then pulled out a 12in knife and began hacking at the terrified victim’s wrist.
They eventually got away with the suitcase but they discarded it nearby and nothing was stolen.
You may also want to watch:
The three suspects are believed to have got into a white vehicle which drove off along Britannia Road or Riverdene Road away from Roden Street.
Police are now appealing for witnesses following the attack, which happened at about 10.25am on April 10, and have today released images of the suspects.
- 1 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 4 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 5 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 6 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 7 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 8 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 9 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 10 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
Investigating officer Pc Paul Fuller, from Ilford robbery squad, said: “This was a vicious attack by a group of suspects who, in their efforts to steal the suitcase, caused considerable injury to the victim.
“Doctors initially believed the victim may not fully recover all the function in his hand.
“Fortunately he’s been extremely lucky and is making great progress but it will be some months before he is back to normal.
“We would appeal for anyone with information or who recognises the suspects from these images to contact us as soon as possible.”
The first suspect is described as an Asian man, aged 25-30 and 5ft 6in with short black hair. He was wearing a brown jacket with a fur-type collar and blue jeans.
The second man was also Asian, aged 25 and 5ft 8in. He had a distinctive skinny face and wore a black hooded jacket.
The third suspect was an Asian man, aged 25-30 wearing a hooded top.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 020 8345 2653 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.