Trio who tried to hack off man’s hand in Ilford with 12-inch knife being hunted by police
Three robbers who beat a man to the ground before one tried to hack his hand off using a 12in knife are being hunted by police.
The trio were trying to steal the 27-year-old man’s suitcase after attacking him in Riverdene Road, close to its junction with Brittania Road, Ilford.
Police say the men were constantly trying to grab the purple suitcase he was holding as they beat him to the floor.
One of the men then pulled out a 12in knife and began hacking at the terrified victim’s wrist.
They eventually got away with the suitcase but they discarded it nearby and nothing was stolen.
The three suspects are believed to have got into a white vehicle which drove off along Britannia Road or Riverdene Road away from Roden Street.
Police are now appealing for witnesses following the attack, which happened at about 10.25am on April 10, and have today released images of the suspects.
- 1 Two people arrested following Ilford drugs lab bust
- 2 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 3 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 4 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 5 Update: Sixth arrest following killing of Michael Ugwa
- 6 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 7 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
Investigating officer Pc Paul Fuller, from Ilford robbery squad, said: “This was a vicious attack by a group of suspects who, in their efforts to steal the suitcase, caused considerable injury to the victim.
“Doctors initially believed the victim may not fully recover all the function in his hand.
“Fortunately he’s been extremely lucky and is making great progress but it will be some months before he is back to normal.
“We would appeal for anyone with information or who recognises the suspects from these images to contact us as soon as possible.”
The first suspect is described as an Asian man, aged 25-30 and 5ft 6in with short black hair. He was wearing a brown jacket with a fur-type collar and blue jeans.
The second man was also Asian, aged 25 and 5ft 8in. He had a distinctive skinny face and wore a black hooded jacket.
The third suspect was an Asian man, aged 25-30 wearing a hooded top.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 020 8345 2653 or via email to email@example.com.
To remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.