Trial of Ilford man accused of attempted murder adjourned
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A trial due to start this morning was adjourned after doctors failed to agree whether the defendant was “legally insane”.
The court is due to reconvene on Thursday after Robin Kardam, 44, of Kensington Gardens, Ilford, was charged with attempted murder last year.
Mr Kardam, accused of stabbing Sophia Burley, an Ilford Lane outreach worker, on November 25, appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court this morning with hospital staff before Judge Simon Wilkinson adjourned the trial.
Danny Robinson, prosecuting, said that the doctors assessing Mr Kardam were not able to agree on his mental state.
“In these circumstances, a meeting of the experts seems to me absolutely desirable – to see if a measure of agreement can be met,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“That has not taken place so far. We thought it may be appropriate for the experts talk over the telephone but that was not appropriate.
“We at the bar are keen that they should meet as soon as possible, and if possible to present an agreed approach at this trial.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 4 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 5 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 6 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 9 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
- 10 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
“Really your honour, at this stage what I am asking is that the court considers the experts to meet before we embark on evidence.”
Judge Wilkinson, who said it was “vital” for the experts to meet, agreed to move the trial to Thursday.
Mr Kardam denies the charge.