Traffic lights failure at Gants Hill roundabout caused ‘living hell’ for drivers
- Credit: TfL
One of Redbridge’s busiest roundabouts was plunged into chaos today, as the traffic lights stopped working for around five hours.
Drivers using Gants Hill roundabout, in the A12, were shocked to find the lights malfunctioning at 11am.
Transport for London (TfL) initially rebooted them, but at around 12pm they stopped working altogether creating bedlam at the busy intersection.
Police were called to signal traffic for several hours.
TfL have confirmed the lights are working again however there could be residual delays.
You may also want to watch:
Many drivers took to Twitter to express their anger.
@CocoAmoure said: “Omds the traffic around gants hill stn is something else man.”
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 4 Waste reduction campaign launches with Redbridge fifth largest rubbish producer in England
- 5 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 6 Wanstead Market set to re-open
- 7 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 8 Music from Jessie J and Olly Murs to feature in new musical in Romford
- 9 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 10 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
Ann Holmes added: “Thanks @metpoliceuk for sorting out the living hell that is the traffic at Gants Hill #Wanstead.”
Some commuters began discussing the merits of having any traffic lights.
Dan Cannes said: “@TfLTrafficNews switch them Off. You’ll see how much better the traffic will flow.”
Portcullis agreed: “Didn’t have traffic lights for 80 years, and traffic was better than this. Switch them off.”
Have you been stuck in the traffic in Gants Hill? Email ralph,email@example.com.
Vote in our poll whether Redbridge should have traffic lights or not?