Traffic lights failure at Gants Hill roundabout caused ‘living hell’ for drivers
- Credit: TfL
One of Redbridge’s busiest roundabouts was plunged into chaos today, as the traffic lights stopped working for around five hours.
Drivers using Gants Hill roundabout, in the A12, were shocked to find the lights malfunctioning at 11am.
Transport for London (TfL) initially rebooted them, but at around 12pm they stopped working altogether creating bedlam at the busy intersection.
Police were called to signal traffic for several hours.
TfL have confirmed the lights are working again however there could be residual delays.
You may also want to watch:
Many drivers took to Twitter to express their anger.
@CocoAmoure said: “Omds the traffic around gants hill stn is something else man.”
- 1 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 2 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 9 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 10 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
Ann Holmes added: “Thanks @metpoliceuk for sorting out the living hell that is the traffic at Gants Hill #Wanstead.”
Some commuters began discussing the merits of having any traffic lights.
Dan Cannes said: “@TfLTrafficNews switch them Off. You’ll see how much better the traffic will flow.”
Portcullis agreed: “Didn’t have traffic lights for 80 years, and traffic was better than this. Switch them off.”
Have you been stuck in the traffic in Gants Hill? Email ralph,firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vote in our poll whether Redbridge should have traffic lights or not?