Traffic lights failure at Gants Hill roundabout caused ‘living hell’ for drivers
- Credit: TfL
One of Redbridge’s busiest roundabouts was plunged into chaos today, as the traffic lights stopped working for around five hours.
Drivers using Gants Hill roundabout, in the A12, were shocked to find the lights malfunctioning at 11am.
Transport for London (TfL) initially rebooted them, but at around 12pm they stopped working altogether creating bedlam at the busy intersection.
Police were called to signal traffic for several hours.
TfL have confirmed the lights are working again however there could be residual delays.
You may also want to watch:
Many drivers took to Twitter to express their anger.
@CocoAmoure said: “Omds the traffic around gants hill stn is something else man.”
- 1 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 2 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 3 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
- 4 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 5 Council left homeless family 'stuck in cycle of instability', report finds
- 6 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 7 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 8 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 9 Two in five people in Redbridge may have had Covid, data shows
- 10 Covid vaccine invitations a priority for Royal Mail, says MP
Ann Holmes added: “Thanks @metpoliceuk for sorting out the living hell that is the traffic at Gants Hill #Wanstead.”
Some commuters began discussing the merits of having any traffic lights.
Dan Cannes said: “@TfLTrafficNews switch them Off. You’ll see how much better the traffic will flow.”
Portcullis agreed: “Didn’t have traffic lights for 80 years, and traffic was better than this. Switch them off.”
Have you been stuck in the traffic in Gants Hill? Email ralph,firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vote in our poll whether Redbridge should have traffic lights or not?