Traffic lights failure at Gants Hill roundabout caused ‘living hell’ for drivers
- Credit: TfL
One of Redbridge’s busiest roundabouts was plunged into chaos today, as the traffic lights stopped working for around five hours.
Drivers using Gants Hill roundabout, in the A12, were shocked to find the lights malfunctioning at 11am.
Transport for London (TfL) initially rebooted them, but at around 12pm they stopped working altogether creating bedlam at the busy intersection.
Police were called to signal traffic for several hours.
TfL have confirmed the lights are working again however there could be residual delays.
Many drivers took to Twitter to express their anger.
@CocoAmoure said: “Omds the traffic around gants hill stn is something else man.”
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Police no longer looking for man wanted in connection with assault
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 6 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022
- 7 TfL welcomes RMT decision to suspend first round of strike action
- 8 Men jailed for using explosives in string of ATM thefts
- 9 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 10 Dog units 'really good tool' to help police tackle violent crime, officers say
Ann Holmes added: “Thanks @metpoliceuk for sorting out the living hell that is the traffic at Gants Hill #Wanstead.”
Some commuters began discussing the merits of having any traffic lights.
Dan Cannes said: “@TfLTrafficNews switch them Off. You’ll see how much better the traffic will flow.”
Portcullis agreed: “Didn’t have traffic lights for 80 years, and traffic was better than this. Switch them off.”
Have you been stuck in the traffic in Gants Hill? Email ralph,firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vote in our poll whether Redbridge should have traffic lights or not?