Traffic lights failure at Gants Hill roundabout caused ‘living hell’ for drivers
- Credit: TfL
One of Redbridge’s busiest roundabouts was plunged into chaos today, as the traffic lights stopped working for around five hours.
Drivers using Gants Hill roundabout, in the A12, were shocked to find the lights malfunctioning at 11am.
Transport for London (TfL) initially rebooted them, but at around 12pm they stopped working altogether creating bedlam at the busy intersection.
Police were called to signal traffic for several hours.
TfL have confirmed the lights are working again however there could be residual delays.
Many drivers took to Twitter to express their anger.
@CocoAmoure said: “Omds the traffic around gants hill stn is something else man.”
- 1 Air ambulance lands after man stabbed in South Woodford
- 2 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Valentines Park
- 3 Homes under the Planner: Applications approved or refused in Redbridge
- 4 Man denies committing GBH during alleged robbery at Barkingside Tesco
- 5 Guilty: Hainault man admits traffic light stabbing
- 6 Teen found guilty of robbing boy, 12, in Romford while carrying knife
- 7 How many Covid patients are in hospital in east London this week?
- 8 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 9 Most wanted: 7 people sought in connection with 11 robberies across London
- 10 Goodmayes fatal stabbing: Double murder trial set to open
Ann Holmes added: “Thanks @metpoliceuk for sorting out the living hell that is the traffic at Gants Hill #Wanstead.”
Some commuters began discussing the merits of having any traffic lights.
Dan Cannes said: “@TfLTrafficNews switch them Off. You’ll see how much better the traffic will flow.”
Portcullis agreed: “Didn’t have traffic lights for 80 years, and traffic was better than this. Switch them off.”
Have you been stuck in the traffic in Gants Hill? Email ralph,firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vote in our poll whether Redbridge should have traffic lights or not?