Third man arrested in case of Chigwell have-a-go hero dad who died protecting shop
- Credit: Archant
Detectives have made a third arrest in the case of a have-a-go hero dad who died following a suspected robbery.
The 38-year-old man, who has not been named, was arrested at his home in Barking this morning on suspicion of conspiracy to rob and remains in custody at an east London police station.
The arrest follows the death of Shammi Atwal, 45, of Chigwell, who co-owned Glenn and Co cash and carry in River Road, Barking, with his wife, 37.
Police said father-of-two Mr Atwal was killed when he was struck by a lorry after chasing a gang of alleged robbers from his store on Monday, October 14. The driver stopped and was not arrested.
Two men have already been charged with manslaughter and robbery in connection with the investigation and appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
You may also want to watch:
They were Vidmantas Gonskoves, 26 of Grange Road, Plaistow, and Aurimas Diliunas, 27, of Rosslyn Road, Barking.
Both men were remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on Monday, November 4.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 3 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 6 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 7 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 8 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 9 Man charged in connection with alleged police car ramming in Ilford
- 10 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute