Third man arrested in case of Chigwell have-a-go hero dad who died protecting shop
- Credit: Archant
Detectives have made a third arrest in the case of a have-a-go hero dad who died following a suspected robbery.
The 38-year-old man, who has not been named, was arrested at his home in Barking this morning on suspicion of conspiracy to rob and remains in custody at an east London police station.
The arrest follows the death of Shammi Atwal, 45, of Chigwell, who co-owned Glenn and Co cash and carry in River Road, Barking, with his wife, 37.
Police said father-of-two Mr Atwal was killed when he was struck by a lorry after chasing a gang of alleged robbers from his store on Monday, October 14. The driver stopped and was not arrested.
Two men have already been charged with manslaughter and robbery in connection with the investigation and appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
You may also want to watch:
They were Vidmantas Gonskoves, 26 of Grange Road, Plaistow, and Aurimas Diliunas, 27, of Rosslyn Road, Barking.
Both men were remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on Monday, November 4.
- 1 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 4 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 5 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 6 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 7 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 8 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?
- 9 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 10 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods