Third man arrested in case of Chigwell have-a-go hero dad who died protecting shop
- Credit: Archant
Detectives have made a third arrest in the case of a have-a-go hero dad who died following a suspected robbery.
The 38-year-old man, who has not been named, was arrested at his home in Barking this morning on suspicion of conspiracy to rob and remains in custody at an east London police station.
The arrest follows the death of Shammi Atwal, 45, of Chigwell, who co-owned Glenn and Co cash and carry in River Road, Barking, with his wife, 37.
Police said father-of-two Mr Atwal was killed when he was struck by a lorry after chasing a gang of alleged robbers from his store on Monday, October 14. The driver stopped and was not arrested.
Two men have already been charged with manslaughter and robbery in connection with the investigation and appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
You may also want to watch:
They were Vidmantas Gonskoves, 26 of Grange Road, Plaistow, and Aurimas Diliunas, 27, of Rosslyn Road, Barking.
Both men were remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on Monday, November 4.
- 1 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 2 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 3 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 4 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 5 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 6 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 9 Life sentence for Chigwell man convicted of murder
- 10 Council left homeless family 'stuck in cycle of instability', report finds