Thief steals vodka from Goodmayes Tesco after wife took his wallet
- Credit: Archant
A man has admitted stealing vodka from a Goodmayes supermarket after his wife confiscated his wallet and bank cards.
Saulius Vitas, 37, of Ickburgh Road, Clapton, pleaded guilty to theft from a shop at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
The court heard that Vitas was found in front of Tesco, in High Road, with an unopened bottle of vodka worth £25.
Security guards called an ambulance after finding Vitas intoxicated, unresponsive and without a receipt for the drink last month.
The court heard his wife took his wallet after she had grown concerned about his alcohol issues.
You may also want to watch:
Judge Susan Holdham sentenced Vitas to eight weeks in prison suspended for 12 months. He was ordered to pay £85 in court costs and an £80 victim surcharge.
She said: “You pleaded at the first opportunity and I give you credit for that.
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 7 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 8 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 9 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 10 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
“I’m told you have now come to realise the toll it has taken on you and you can’t continue to drink.”