Thief steals vodka from Goodmayes Tesco after wife took his wallet
- Credit: Archant
A man has admitted stealing vodka from a Goodmayes supermarket after his wife confiscated his wallet and bank cards.
Saulius Vitas, 37, of Ickburgh Road, Clapton, pleaded guilty to theft from a shop at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
The court heard that Vitas was found in front of Tesco, in High Road, with an unopened bottle of vodka worth £25.
Security guards called an ambulance after finding Vitas intoxicated, unresponsive and without a receipt for the drink last month.
The court heard his wife took his wallet after she had grown concerned about his alcohol issues.
You may also want to watch:
Judge Susan Holdham sentenced Vitas to eight weeks in prison suspended for 12 months. He was ordered to pay £85 in court costs and an £80 victim surcharge.
She said: “You pleaded at the first opportunity and I give you credit for that.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 4 Waste reduction campaign launches with Redbridge fifth largest rubbish producer in England
- 5 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 6 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 7 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 8 Music from Jessie J and Olly Murs to feature in new musical in Romford
- 9 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 10 Wanstead Market set to re-open
“I’m told you have now come to realise the toll it has taken on you and you can’t continue to drink.”