Thief steals vodka from Goodmayes Tesco after wife took his wallet
- Credit: Archant
A man has admitted stealing vodka from a Goodmayes supermarket after his wife confiscated his wallet and bank cards.
Saulius Vitas, 37, of Ickburgh Road, Clapton, pleaded guilty to theft from a shop at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
The court heard that Vitas was found in front of Tesco, in High Road, with an unopened bottle of vodka worth £25.
Security guards called an ambulance after finding Vitas intoxicated, unresponsive and without a receipt for the drink last month.
The court heard his wife took his wallet after she had grown concerned about his alcohol issues.
You may also want to watch:
Judge Susan Holdham sentenced Vitas to eight weeks in prison suspended for 12 months. He was ordered to pay £85 in court costs and an £80 victim surcharge.
She said: “You pleaded at the first opportunity and I give you credit for that.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 5 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 6 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 9 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 10 Need for Frenford Foodbank won't end when pandemic does, say volunteers
“I’m told you have now come to realise the toll it has taken on you and you can’t continue to drink.”