Thief steals vodka from Goodmayes Tesco after wife took his wallet
- Credit: Archant
A man has admitted stealing vodka from a Goodmayes supermarket after his wife confiscated his wallet and bank cards.
Saulius Vitas, 37, of Ickburgh Road, Clapton, pleaded guilty to theft from a shop at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
The court heard that Vitas was found in front of Tesco, in High Road, with an unopened bottle of vodka worth £25.
Security guards called an ambulance after finding Vitas intoxicated, unresponsive and without a receipt for the drink last month.
The court heard his wife took his wallet after she had grown concerned about his alcohol issues.
Judge Susan Holdham sentenced Vitas to eight weeks in prison suspended for 12 months. He was ordered to pay £85 in court costs and an £80 victim surcharge.
She said: “You pleaded at the first opportunity and I give you credit for that.
- 1 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 2 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 3 Caught on camera: 6 wanted fly-tippers and litterbugs
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 Wendy's Ilford: New opening date for High Road restaurant after delay
- 7 Dispersal order enforced in parts of Gants Hill, Clayhall and Barkingside
- 8 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 9 Wendy's to open Ilford restaurant next week
- 10 40 firefighters tackle blaze after boiler catches on fire
“I’m told you have now come to realise the toll it has taken on you and you can’t continue to drink.”