Award-winning play about ‘absurdity’ of borders comes to Wanstead and South Woodford
- Credit: Archant
An award-winning play which explores the “absurdity” of borders and today’s world of “fake news and information overload” is coming to Redbridge Drama Centre and Wanstead Festival.
The Border, by Afsaneh Gray, winner of the 2018 Brian Way Award, is touring both schools and theatres across the UK to engage audiences in an "urgent national conversation".
Developed in collaboration with young people, The Border questions the meaning of borders and the lines we draw between ourselves and other people.
Featuring a live break out debate, the play creates space for audiences to think and talk together.
Writer Afsaneh Gray said: "The world feels so extreme - and so confusing - that I wanted the story to be incredibly simple. I feel like a lot of us are in that situation - we just want to live our lives, but politics has become impossible to ignore.
You may also want to watch:
"I think if you're young, politics is super relevant right now - you can see the effects of political decisions on your future prospects in a way that just wasn't the case even ten years ago.
"It's important for young people to engage with politics, but it's also important to figure out how you do that - how you listen to each other respectfully, how you inform yourself in a world full of disinformation.
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 4 Sadiq Khan comes to Redbridge ahead of London elections
- 5 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 6 Loxford and Seven Kings by-election candidates make case for your vote
- 7 Consultation launches on plans to move preschool and open excluded pupils facility at youth centre
- 8 Former Ilford South MP opens up on Labour departure in new book
- 9 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 10 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
"I wanted to start people on that journey."
The Border is at Redbridge Drama Centre, Churchfields, South Woodford on September 12, from 8pm, and at Wanstead Festival, Aldersbrook Community Centre, Brading Crescent, Wanstead on September 13, 7.30-9pm.
For tickets, visit https://redbridgedramacentre.co.uk/ or https://wansteadfringe.wansteadium.com/.