Teenager, 16, dies after stabbing at Ashton Playing Fields, Woodford Bridge
- Credit: Archant
A teenager has died after being stabbed in Woodford Bridge last night.
Police and the London Ambulance Service were called at around 9.40pm to a stabbing at Ashton Playing Fields, off Chigwell Road.
A 16-year-old boy, believed to have been attending a female friend’s 16th birthday party, was taken by ambulance to Whipps Cross Hospital but was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.
Detectives believe a confrontation began outside the playing fields’ social club between four male youths and the victim, who was alone.
It is thought that one of the males stabbed the victim before all four made off on foot towards Chigwell Road.
You may also want to watch:
Party guests then came to help the victim before police and paramedics arrived.
Officers believe they know the identity of the deceased but are awaiting formal identification. Next of kin have been informed.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 3 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 4 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 5 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 6 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 7 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 10 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
A post-mortem examination is due to take place tomorrow at Walthamstow mortuary.
Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, who are appealing for information and witnesses, are investigating under Det Ch Insp Ken Hughes.
“There were around 100 young people at this party and we are appealing for anyone with information or any witnesses to come forward as soon as possible,” he said.
“The victim’s family are naturally devastated and in shock by what has happened and we need the help of those at the party that night to progress our investigation.”
There have been no arrests and inquiries continue.
Anyone who witnessed the incident or has information that may assist the investigation should call the police incident room on 020 8345 3862. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
To share your tribute, call the Recorder on 07785 616219 or email email@example.com