Suspected Chigwell brothel searched after tip-off
POLICE have stormed a suspected brothel after an investigation lasting “many months”.
PVC nurse uniforms were among the items found by detectives searching the property in Manor Road, Chigwell.
They executed a warrant on the premises on Thursday after reports from neighbours of antisocial behaviour at the address.
Insp Tom Simons said: “My officers have been working closely with the community and our specialist crime division officers over many months, listening and verifying the concerns of our local residents.
“We will continue to seek out people who try to exploit others and set up brothels, causing antisocial behaviour and upset to other members of the community.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to send a clear message that these activities will not be tolerated.”
A neighbour living near the suspected brothel has spoken of her “total surprise” at the police search.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 3 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 4 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 5 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 6 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 7 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 8 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 9 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 10 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
Audrey Thomas, 51, said: “You don’t expect there to be something like that in your own road. It’s a concern for everyone.
“I saw police about on Thursday but didn’t expect it to be something like this.
“It’s a total surprise to me and my husband.”
Another resident, Freda Rayn, 57, said: “Some of us have contacted the police because we’ve been suspicious about what’s been going on there.
“I’m glad that they took some action.
“There are plenty of children who live in this road and you worry that they’ll see something untoward.”
A 48-year-old woman from Woodford Green was arrested on suspicion of managing a brothel and has been bailed until December 16.