Suspected Chigwell brothel searched after tip-off
POLICE have stormed a suspected brothel after an investigation lasting “many months”.
PVC nurse uniforms were among the items found by detectives searching the property in Manor Road, Chigwell.
They executed a warrant on the premises on Thursday after reports from neighbours of antisocial behaviour at the address.
Insp Tom Simons said: “My officers have been working closely with the community and our specialist crime division officers over many months, listening and verifying the concerns of our local residents.
“We will continue to seek out people who try to exploit others and set up brothels, causing antisocial behaviour and upset to other members of the community.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to send a clear message that these activities will not be tolerated.”
A neighbour living near the suspected brothel has spoken of her “total surprise” at the police search.
- 1 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 2 Surplus of primary school places now but shortage expected within 10 years
- 3 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 4 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 5 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 6 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 7 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 8 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 9 Life sentence for Chigwell man convicted of murder
- 10 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman
Audrey Thomas, 51, said: “You don’t expect there to be something like that in your own road. It’s a concern for everyone.
“I saw police about on Thursday but didn’t expect it to be something like this.
“It’s a total surprise to me and my husband.”
Another resident, Freda Rayn, 57, said: “Some of us have contacted the police because we’ve been suspicious about what’s been going on there.
“I’m glad that they took some action.
“There are plenty of children who live in this road and you worry that they’ll see something untoward.”
A 48-year-old woman from Woodford Green was arrested on suspicion of managing a brothel and has been bailed until December 16.