Suspected Chigwell brothel searched after tip-off
POLICE have stormed a suspected brothel after an investigation lasting “many months”.
PVC nurse uniforms were among the items found by detectives searching the property in Manor Road, Chigwell.
They executed a warrant on the premises on Thursday after reports from neighbours of antisocial behaviour at the address.
Insp Tom Simons said: “My officers have been working closely with the community and our specialist crime division officers over many months, listening and verifying the concerns of our local residents.
“We will continue to seek out people who try to exploit others and set up brothels, causing antisocial behaviour and upset to other members of the community.
“We want to send a clear message that these activities will not be tolerated.”
A neighbour living near the suspected brothel has spoken of her “total surprise” at the police search.
- 1 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 2 Caught on camera: 6 wanted fly-tippers and litterbugs
- 3 Man allegedly commits GBH after robbing bottles of champagne from Tesco
- 4 Wendy's Ilford: New opening date for High Road restaurant after delay
- 5 How many Covid patients are there in east London hospitals this week?
- 6 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 7 'Truly inspiring' journalist returns to school to tell her story to students
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Redbridge Conservatives choose new leader
- 10 Jailed: 'Selfish' 135mph driver spotted speeding on M11 near Woodford
Audrey Thomas, 51, said: “You don’t expect there to be something like that in your own road. It’s a concern for everyone.
“I saw police about on Thursday but didn’t expect it to be something like this.
“It’s a total surprise to me and my husband.”
Another resident, Freda Rayn, 57, said: “Some of us have contacted the police because we’ve been suspicious about what’s been going on there.
“I’m glad that they took some action.
“There are plenty of children who live in this road and you worry that they’ll see something untoward.”
A 48-year-old woman from Woodford Green was arrested on suspicion of managing a brothel and has been bailed until December 16.