Suspected Chigwell brothel searched after tip-off
POLICE have stormed a suspected brothel after an investigation lasting “many months”.
PVC nurse uniforms were among the items found by detectives searching the property in Manor Road, Chigwell.
They executed a warrant on the premises on Thursday after reports from neighbours of antisocial behaviour at the address.
Insp Tom Simons said: “My officers have been working closely with the community and our specialist crime division officers over many months, listening and verifying the concerns of our local residents.
“We will continue to seek out people who try to exploit others and set up brothels, causing antisocial behaviour and upset to other members of the community.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to send a clear message that these activities will not be tolerated.”
A neighbour living near the suspected brothel has spoken of her “total surprise” at the police search.
- 1 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 2 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 5 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 6 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 7 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 10 Women use experiences to offer safety insights about Redbridge
Audrey Thomas, 51, said: “You don’t expect there to be something like that in your own road. It’s a concern for everyone.
“I saw police about on Thursday but didn’t expect it to be something like this.
“It’s a total surprise to me and my husband.”
Another resident, Freda Rayn, 57, said: “Some of us have contacted the police because we’ve been suspicious about what’s been going on there.
“I’m glad that they took some action.
“There are plenty of children who live in this road and you worry that they’ll see something untoward.”
A 48-year-old woman from Woodford Green was arrested on suspicion of managing a brothel and has been bailed until December 16.