Ilford North MP addresses Newbury Park murder of baby and toddler at PMQs
- Credit: Archant
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting addressed the tragic murder of a baby and toddler in Newbury Park on Sunday at Prime Minister’s Questions today calling for the government to do more to prevent domestic abuse.
Mr Streeting addressed the First Secretary of State, Dominic Raab, who was standing in for Boris Johnson, saying the government should commit to a £75million ring-fenced fund to support domestic abuse victims “so in these darkest of times for people who are trapped unsafe in their own homes they know that support is available”.
Addressing the House of Commons Mr Streeting said: “Can I offer my deepest thanks to first responders from the Metropolitan Police and London Ambulance Service who were greeted with a horrifying scene on Sunday night of a 19-month old baby girl and three-year-old boy brutally murdered in their own home.
“There are no words of comfort that we can offer their grieving mother but what the government can do is to do more to support people who are not safe in their own homes.
“I recognise the £3m that has gone to support children who witness domestic abuse and the £2m that has gone to support the domestic abuse hotline but that’s not enough and it’s not quick enough.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Raab responded that the government is “constantly looking to reinforce and strengthen the response to domestic abuse and he’s right there is a specific issue related to this crisis.”
Mr Streeting is supporting the mother of the two victims in the brutal murder which took place in Aldborough Road on Sunday evening.
- 1 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 2 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 3 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 4 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 5 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 6 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
- 9 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 10 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
A 40-year-old man was also injured in the incident and is in a critical condition in hospital where officers are with him.
A spokesman for the police said: “It is believed that all parties involved were known to each other; all three had suffered knife injuries.
“Although no formal arrest has been made, at this early stage, police are not currently looking for anyone else in connection with this incident.
“A crime scene is in place and enquiries into the circumstances continue by the Met’s Specialist Crime Command (Homicide).”
Any witnesses or anyone with any information is asked to call police on 101 or contact via Twitter @MetCC quoting CAD 5669/26 APR.
To give information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or at crimestoppers-uk.org.