Stop and search in operation at Ilford station
- Credit: Archant
Stop and search will be in operation at Ilford station this evening.
Police officers will be at the station, as well as at Stratford and Lewisham stations, and have the power to stop and search people anywhere within the stations and within a 200m radius outside them.
The order, known as a section 60, came into force at 4pm today (Friday) and will last until 7am tomorrow (Saturday).
Supt Paul Langley said: “Throughout this evening, passengers and rail staff can expect to see a higher than usual number of officers at these stations.
“The decision has not been taken lightly and is in response to a number of highly concerning incidents on the rail network, involving weapons or violence.
You may also want to watch:
“Today is one step in our fight back against violence and knife crime, and I hope that the majority of passengers will be reassured by the presence of my officers.”
People who see something that concerns them are asked to contact British Transport Police by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40.
- 1 Young Citizen: Ilford student who assisted at crash campaigns for more first aid
- 2 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 3 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 4 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 5 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 6 Protestors decry 'privatisation' of NHS outside Loxford Practice
- 7 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 8 'I convened a meeting for residents and businesses in the York Road area'
- 9 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 10 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week