Stop and search in operation at Ilford station
- Credit: Archant
Stop and search will be in operation at Ilford station this evening.
Police officers will be at the station, as well as at Stratford and Lewisham stations, and have the power to stop and search people anywhere within the stations and within a 200m radius outside them.
The order, known as a section 60, came into force at 4pm today (Friday) and will last until 7am tomorrow (Saturday).
Supt Paul Langley said: “Throughout this evening, passengers and rail staff can expect to see a higher than usual number of officers at these stations.
“The decision has not been taken lightly and is in response to a number of highly concerning incidents on the rail network, involving weapons or violence.
You may also want to watch:
“Today is one step in our fight back against violence and knife crime, and I hope that the majority of passengers will be reassured by the presence of my officers.”
People who see something that concerns them are asked to contact British Transport Police by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40.
- 1 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 2 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 3 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 4 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 5 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 6 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 7 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 8 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 9 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 10 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'