Stop and search in operation at Ilford station
- Credit: Archant
Stop and search will be in operation at Ilford station this evening.
Police officers will be at the station, as well as at Stratford and Lewisham stations, and have the power to stop and search people anywhere within the stations and within a 200m radius outside them.
The order, known as a section 60, came into force at 4pm today (Friday) and will last until 7am tomorrow (Saturday).
Supt Paul Langley said: “Throughout this evening, passengers and rail staff can expect to see a higher than usual number of officers at these stations.
“The decision has not been taken lightly and is in response to a number of highly concerning incidents on the rail network, involving weapons or violence.
You may also want to watch:
“Today is one step in our fight back against violence and knife crime, and I hope that the majority of passengers will be reassured by the presence of my officers.”
People who see something that concerns them are asked to contact British Transport Police by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40.
- 1 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 4 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 5 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 6 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
- 7 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 8 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 9 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 10 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week