South Woodford church hall call to rename rooms at refurbished building
- Credit: Archant
A church is hoping to name rooms at its refurbished hall after some of the borough’s most notable figures.
Trustees at Woodford Parish Church Memorial Hall, High Road South Woodford, are calling on the public to pick four names from the 12 that have been shortlisted, on Saturday, February 20.
The list, decided on by the trustees, include former prime minister Clement Attlee, former rector of St Mary’s Church in South Woodford Rev Bob Birchnall, and artist Wynne Ludlow.
Chairman of trustees Rev Ian Tarrant said: “By naming the rooms in the building the trustees want to help modern Woodford value and celebrate this building, and at the same time to honour people who have served Woodford in the past.”
Voting will take place between 11am and 4pm. Postal votes will be accepted but must be received by 4pm that day.
The hall will also be holding an exhibition of the history of the hall and its notable people, with drama by young people from the area.
To see the full list of the names visit facebook.com/woodfordmemorialhall
- 1 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 2 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 3 Mercato Metropolitano to host taster market in Ilford
- 4 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 5 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 Thief threatened woman with bottle at Ilford High Road Sainsbury's Local
- 8 Festivities planned to mark Ilford's Christmas lights switch-on
- 9 Two more men charged with murder after fatal stabbing of teen in Loxford
- 10 Trust admits 'still more to do' despite diagnostic imaging improvements