Sex attacker who molested two women at South Woodford party claimed he suffered from ‘sexomania’
A sex attacker who claimed he was sleepwalking when he molested two young women at a party in South Woodford has been jailed for three years.
Michael Burgan, 37, insisted he suffered from “sexomania” which meant he could not control his sexual desires as he slept.
Burgan travelled from his home in Liverpool to attend a weekend party on January 28.
A horrified 27-year-old woman woke up in the early hours to find him touching her intimately and groping her breast, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
Later at the same party Burgan sexually assaulted a 21-year-old woman as she slept, said prosecutor James Benson.
You may also want to watch:
She awoke to find him on top of her, having slipped his hand in her underwear.
In a victim impact statement, she said the attack had affected her “view of the world and humanity” and shattered her trust in people, especially men.
- 1 Owner who posted video of his restaurant defying Covid rules loses licence
- 2 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 3 South Woodford post office to close in the spring
- 4 South Woodford flat 'has parties several times a week during lockdown'
- 5 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 6 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Wanstead?
- 7 Plans for 66ft 5G mast in Goodmayes alarms residents
- 8 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 9 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 10 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
She also expressed fears about what could have happened if she had not woken up.
Burgan was caught out after both women confided in another partygoer, who confronted him before the police were informed.
But the father-of-two insisted he could not remember what happened on both occasions, blaming his “sleeping condition”, in addition to heavy drinking and drug taking.
Defending, Stephen Hayden conceded there was no medical evidence to support Burgan’s claims.
Sentencing, Judge Timothy Lamb said: “The defendant is still trying to evade responsible for his actions with little conscience or apparent remorse.
“The absence of remorse confirms he was callous, predatory and remains self-deluded.”
Burgan, of Falkner Street, Liverpool initially denied the offences but changed his pleas on the day of the trial to guilty of assault by penetration and sexual assault.
He was stony-faced as he was led out of the dock.
A count of sexual assault was laid on file.