Sex attacker jailed for assaults on Ilford buses
- Credit: Met Police
A 47-year-old man has been jailed for 18 months and placed on the sex offenders register after admitting a string of sex attacks on Ilford buses.
Giorge Zhukas, of no fixed abode, will be on the register for 10 years after pleading guilty to nine counts of sexual assault in this borough and Waltham Forest.
He was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday.
Zhukas, an Albanian national, will also be deported after his time in prison.
The court heard that Zhukas sexually assaulted nine girls and women, aged between 13 and 43, on buses between August 11 and October 16 last year.
You may also want to watch:
In four of the offences the quality of the CCTV was of such high quality that the Crown Prosecution Service authorised charging, even though the victim had not been identified.
The Roads and Transport Policing Command Reactive Investigations Team led the investigation and obtained CCTV footage from the bus, which led to Zhukas being identified and arrested on October 20 last year.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 5 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 9 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
- 10 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
He was charged on November 11 and appeared at Bow Magistrates’ Court the following day.
Det Supt Adnan Qureshi, roads and transport policing command, said: “I commend these victims, some of whom were teenagers, for having the courage to come forward and report these appalling crimes.
“Thanks to their selfless actions, this despicable individual has received a lengthy prison sentence and deportation upon his release, which I hope reassures others to come forward in similar circumstances with information that can assist with a conviction.
The investigation was part of Project Guardian - a multi-agency initiative involving the Metropolitan Police Service, British Transport Police, City of London Police and Transport for London.