Second man charged with Michael Ugwa killing to remain in custody
- Credit: Essex Police
The second man charged with the killing of Rainham father-of-three Michael Ugwa will remain in custody following a hearing today.
Michael, 29, was fatally assaulted at the Lakeside shopping centre in Thurrock on the afternoon of April 28.
Muhammad Khan, 54, of no fixed address, Ilford, was arrested on May 5 and subsequently charged with murder and affray.
No pleas were entered during a hearing at Basildon Crown Court today (May 10).
There is not yet a confirmed date for next appearance, though a provisional trial date of April 11, 2023 has been set.
Khan is the second person to be charged with murder, and the third charged overall.
Brandon Lutchmunsing, 19, of Dagenham, has been charged with murder and affray.
Shannon Weston, 20, of Canewdon in Essex, is charged with assisting an offender.
Both appeared before Basildon Crown Court on May 6, where each was remanded in custody until a plea hearing scheduled for July 1.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 3 Commission ends safeguarding probe into charity
- 4 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 5 Lightbulb likely cause of Khartoum Road house fire
- 6 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 8 Update: Sixth arrest following killing of Michael Ugwa
- 9 Met investigates cause of Mossford Green cemetery blaze
- 10 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
A 54-year-old woman - arrested along with Khan on suspicion of assisting an offender - has been released under investigation.