Schoolgirls ‘tried to stop bleeding’ with first aid on Hainault stabbing victim
- Credit: Archant
Three children who witnessed a horrific stabbing in a Hainault park on Monday may have saved the victim’s life with first aid skills learnt at school.
Sisters aged 10 and 12, and their 14-year-old friend, were in Manford Way park when a 15-year-old boy was stabbed multiple times in the upper body at about 7pm.
While he lay bleeding near flats in Woodman Path, the three girls ran to his aid.
The mother of two of the brave youngsters said they compressed his wounds with plastic cards to try and stop the bleeding while the third girl guided an ambulance to the scene.
Despite his extensive wounds, the boy’s injuries are not thought to be life-threatening and he is recovering in hospital.
You may also want to watch:
The mother, who did not want to be named, said her children had received first aid training at school just days before.
She added: “I am extremely proud of my daughters and their friend.
- 1 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 2 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 3 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 4 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 5 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 6 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 9 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
- 10 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
“This was a very brave thing to do after seeing this young boy get stabbed right in front of them at this age but they didn’t allow shock or fear get in their way at the time that was most important.”
The daylight stabbing has shocked the local community.
Ilford North MP Lee Scott said he had not heard of an attack like it since 14-year-old Jack Large, from Hainault, was killed in the Limes Farm Estate in 2008.
He added: “It’s shocking, it’s something that just doesn’t happen around here.
“But tragedies like this can happen anywhere. I hope the police will get to the bottom of it.”
Anti-knife crime campaigner Danny O’Brien, of Ilford, said he hoped the attack was a “one-off”.
Mr O’Brien, who founded Anti Knife UK, visits schools in Redbridge any beyond to discourage young people from carrying weapons.
He said: “Kids can get bored, especially over the summer holidays, and groups form.
“They seem to be getting younger.”
Three boys from Hainault, two aged 16 and one aged 14, were arrested on Monday night.
One, known as suspect C, 16, has been charged with causing grievous bodily harm.
The other two have been released on bail pending further inquiries.
Anyone with information should call Redbridge CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.