Sameena Imam murder trial jury retires to consider verdicts
- Credit: Archant
A jury trying two brothers accused of murdering cash-and-carry marketing manager Sameena Imam on Christmas Eve has retired to consider its verdicts.
Costco store manager Roger Cooper, 41, and ex-soldier David Cooper, 39, both deny killing Ms Imam, whose body was found buried at an allotment site in Leicester in January.
Ms Imam, who grew up in Ilford and attended Loxford Loxford High School, is alleged to have been killed with chloroform after having a two-year relationship with Roger Cooper and issuing him with an ultimatum to leave his long-term partner.
Roger Cooper, of Tilehurst Drive, Coventry, denies murdering his colleague after driving her from Coventry to Leicester on December 24, claiming he dropped her off at a supermarket following an argument.
His brother, of Hughenden Drive, Leicester, has admitted burying Ms Imam’s body but denies doing anything to cause her death.
You may also want to watch:
The prosecution claim Roger Cooper wanted Ms Imam out of his life as he conducted three relationships, and enlisted the help of his brother to “plan and execute” the alleged murder.
A trial at Birmingham Crown Court, which began in mid-August, was told by a toxicologist that several metallic elements were found in the body of Ms Imam.
- 1 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 2 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 3 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 4 Ilford business owners adjust to new world on reopening
- 5 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 6 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 7 Physical and mental health long-Covid rehab programme launches in Ilford
- 8 Temporary post office to open in South Woodford
- 9 Redbridge leisure centres reopen after latest easing of restrictions
- 10 BHRUT in capsule trial for detecting colorectal cancer
The 34-year-old, who lived in south Wales, worked at Costco outlets in Cardiff, Coventry, Southampton and Bristol.
She was reported missing after failing to arrive for a family gathering in Ilford on Boxing Day.
The jury is due to continue deliberations today at 11am.