Rosemary Shearman’s South Woodford killer ‘should never be freed’
- Credit: Archant
A friend of murder victim Rosemary Shearman, whose South Woodford killer was jailed for 18 years last week, has said the man responsible should never be freed.
Charlotte Fitch-Murphy, manager of the Ardleigh House Community Association which Rosemary used to visit, spoke out as police patrolled the neighbourhood.
She said the sentence handed to Thomas Blazquez, of Onslow Gardens, was too lenient.
“It’s disgusting – 18 years for taking someone’s life. He should have been given life,” she said.
“He will be out in the community again and he’s seriously unhinged. He should have got what she got. It’s awful really.”
You may also want to watch:
As news broke of the killer’s sentencing, officers from the Emerson Park Safer Neighbourhood Team were for a time stationed opposite Mrs Shearman’s home in Platford Green, Horchurch, to “reassure” those shocked by the attack.
Neighbour John Rayment, was happy with the sentence.
- 1 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 2 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 3 Ilford business owners adjust to new world on reopening
- 4 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 5 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 6 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 7 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 8 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 9 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 10 Temporary post office to open in South Woodford
He said: “We were shocked when it happened – she was a fine person and has been [around here] forever. But we are now satisfied in seeing him brought to justice.”
But the partner of Ray Lomas, who found the pensioner dead, said that the sentence was not long enough.
Another Ardleigh Green resident who often saw Mrs Shearman in the area was horrified by the murder.
She said: “It’s just terrible. She was about to go off on holiday, it must have been horrific. She opened her door thinking it was her cab and she was off on holiday, but it was him.”