Rosemary Shearman’s South Woodford killer ‘should never be freed’
- Credit: Archant
A friend of murder victim Rosemary Shearman, whose South Woodford killer was jailed for 18 years last week, has said the man responsible should never be freed.
Charlotte Fitch-Murphy, manager of the Ardleigh House Community Association which Rosemary used to visit, spoke out as police patrolled the neighbourhood.
She said the sentence handed to Thomas Blazquez, of Onslow Gardens, was too lenient.
“It’s disgusting – 18 years for taking someone’s life. He should have been given life,” she said.
“He will be out in the community again and he’s seriously unhinged. He should have got what she got. It’s awful really.”
You may also want to watch:
As news broke of the killer’s sentencing, officers from the Emerson Park Safer Neighbourhood Team were for a time stationed opposite Mrs Shearman’s home in Platford Green, Horchurch, to “reassure” those shocked by the attack.
Neighbour John Rayment, was happy with the sentence.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 9 Plans for retail park development move step closer
- 10 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
He said: “We were shocked when it happened – she was a fine person and has been [around here] forever. But we are now satisfied in seeing him brought to justice.”
But the partner of Ray Lomas, who found the pensioner dead, said that the sentence was not long enough.
Another Ardleigh Green resident who often saw Mrs Shearman in the area was horrified by the murder.
She said: “It’s just terrible. She was about to go off on holiday, it must have been horrific. She opened her door thinking it was her cab and she was off on holiday, but it was him.”