Rosemary Shearman’s South Woodford killer ‘should never be freed’
- Credit: Archant
A friend of murder victim Rosemary Shearman, whose South Woodford killer was jailed for 18 years last week, has said the man responsible should never be freed.
Charlotte Fitch-Murphy, manager of the Ardleigh House Community Association which Rosemary used to visit, spoke out as police patrolled the neighbourhood.
She said the sentence handed to Thomas Blazquez, of Onslow Gardens, was too lenient.
“It’s disgusting – 18 years for taking someone’s life. He should have been given life,” she said.
“He will be out in the community again and he’s seriously unhinged. He should have got what she got. It’s awful really.”
As news broke of the killer’s sentencing, officers from the Emerson Park Safer Neighbourhood Team were for a time stationed opposite Mrs Shearman’s home in Platford Green, Horchurch, to “reassure” those shocked by the attack.
Neighbour John Rayment, was happy with the sentence.
- 1 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 2 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 3 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 4 Lightbulb likely cause of Khartoum Road house fire
- 5 Commission ends safeguarding probe into charity
- 6 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 7 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 8 Met investigates cause of Mossford Green cemetery blaze
- 9 5 of the best things to do with kids in east London
- 10 Caught on camera: 6 wanted fly-tippers and litterbugs
He said: “We were shocked when it happened – she was a fine person and has been [around here] forever. But we are now satisfied in seeing him brought to justice.”
But the partner of Ray Lomas, who found the pensioner dead, said that the sentence was not long enough.
Another Ardleigh Green resident who often saw Mrs Shearman in the area was horrified by the murder.
She said: “It’s just terrible. She was about to go off on holiday, it must have been horrific. She opened her door thinking it was her cab and she was off on holiday, but it was him.”