‘Robbers have taken away my liberty’ – pensioner, 95, targeted in Barkingside
- Credit: Archant
An elderly woman who was robbed in broad daylight has said the people who targeted her have “taken away her liberty”.
Susan Moss, 95, from Barkingside, spoke to the Recorder after thieves stole her handbag while she was on her way home from a routine shopping trip at about 11am on Tuesday.
The piano teacher, who walked through Barkingside Recreation Ground, said a man distracted her by asking for directions and showing her a map, before two women went into her shopping trolley and stole her handbag in Mossford Green, Barkingside.
The “middle-aged” gang made a swift getaway in a car waiting nearby.
“I’m shaken,” said Mrs Moss. “I was just coming back from shopping – I always come that way, it’s a nice, quiet park.
You may also want to watch:
“I live in a very quiet road in Barkingside – I have lived here for 50 years – and now I’m afraid to go out and go into the park.”
The thieves got away with £50 in cash, a pair of “expensive” glasses worth about £300 and Mrs Moss’s bank cards, which have since been blocked. “I feel insecure because there are people following you when you’ve been out shopping – they know you’ve got money in your bag,” she said.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Waste reduction campaign launches with Redbridge fifth largest rubbish producer in England
- 4 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 5 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 6 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 7 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 8 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 9 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 10 Wanstead Market set to re-open
“I’m not going to go shopping without my son now, but it’s my liberty to do so and they’re taking it away – the liberty to enjoy my life.”
Police are now appealing for witnesses and anyone with information regarding the incident to come forward.
All three suspects are described as eastern European and aged is their 50s. The man was of stocky build and the women were of medium build and wearing dark coloured clothing.
Call Redbridge police on 101 with information.