Robbers ‘caught in the act’ jailed after targeting Gants Hill bank
- Credit: Archant
Three robbers led police on a high speed car chase after stealing what they thought was thousands of pounds in a cash box.
The men stole the empty box from a security guard outside Barclays Bank in Beehive Lane, Gants Hill before getting away in a red Peugeot.
Police perused them to Charlie Brown Roundabout where the thugs crashed into an oncoming van resulting in two of them being too badly injured to escape.
Nuaka Dimena and Basana Kimbembi were both arrested at the scene.
The third man, Chanel Riscosa, ran from the crash and jumped over a wall while being chased by specialist police unit the Flying Squad.
You may also want to watch:
He was found crouched hiding in a shed in the grounds of a school by police dogs.
Riscosa, 30, of Palmers Green and Kimbembi, 31, of no fixed abode pleaded guilty to robbery and dangerous driving.
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 4 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 5 Former Ilford South MP opens up on Labour departure in new book
- 6 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 7 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 8 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 9 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 10 Loxford and Seven Kings by-election candidates make case for your vote
Their accomplice Dimena, 29 of New North Road, Hainault pleaded guilty to robbery.
Dec Con Adam Barsby said: “The robbery happened at 10 in the morning in a busy road. Anybody outside there would have been shocked by that and concerned for their safety due to the dangerous driving used.”
Police were called to an ongoing cash-in-transit robbery outside the bank on December 21.
“It was a three week investigation that was relatively straight forward as they were caught in the actm” Mr Barsby. “They stole the cash box from the security guard but we retrieved that in the car hidden in a multi-coloured laundry bag.”
There was also a bag containing a blow touch and screwdriver which police believe the thieves were intending to use to open the plastic cash box.
Two other cars were involved in the crash and six people were injured including the three robbers.
Kimbembi was sentenced to three years in prison at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday.
Dimena and Riscosa were both sentenced to three years and nine months on September 9.