Rival drug gangs’ Ilford town centre ‘turf war’ leaves workers living in fear
- Credit: Archant
Rival drug gangs operating from outside a town centre coffee shop have left staff “worried for their lives”.
Police admit Ilford town centre has become the site of a “turf war” between two gangs – of Somali and Afghan origin – affecting business in the area and terrifying workers.
The situation has become so bad that Costa Coffee, Cranbrook Road, Ilford, is employing a security guard to protect the shop.
One worker said: “I am worried for my life. We have a security guard and CCTV but once I close the shop I am by myself.”
Other businesses have also spoken to the Recorder about the “frightening” situation, with one worker – too afraid to be named – saying he was living in a “permanent state of fear”.
You may also want to watch:
He said he had reported suspicious activity to police on several occasions, but had not seen any change.
Chamber of Commerce chairman Geoff Hill said the news was a “step backwards” for the town centre.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 5 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 6 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 7 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 8 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 10 Man charged with Ilford robbery
Read the full report in today’s Ilford Recorder.