Rival drug gangs’ Ilford town centre ‘turf war’ leaves workers living in fear
- Credit: Archant
Rival drug gangs operating from outside a town centre coffee shop have left staff “worried for their lives”.
Police admit Ilford town centre has become the site of a “turf war” between two gangs – of Somali and Afghan origin – affecting business in the area and terrifying workers.
The situation has become so bad that Costa Coffee, Cranbrook Road, Ilford, is employing a security guard to protect the shop.
One worker said: “I am worried for my life. We have a security guard and CCTV but once I close the shop I am by myself.”
Other businesses have also spoken to the Recorder about the “frightening” situation, with one worker – too afraid to be named – saying he was living in a “permanent state of fear”.
You may also want to watch:
He said he had reported suspicious activity to police on several occasions, but had not seen any change.
Chamber of Commerce chairman Geoff Hill said the news was a “step backwards” for the town centre.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 4 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 5 Wanstead Market set to re-open
- 6 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 7 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Music from Jessie J and Olly Murs to feature in new musical in Romford
- 10 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
Read the full report in today’s Ilford Recorder.