Rival drug gangs’ Ilford town centre ‘turf war’ leaves workers living in fear
- Credit: Archant
Rival drug gangs operating from outside a town centre coffee shop have left staff “worried for their lives”.
Police admit Ilford town centre has become the site of a “turf war” between two gangs – of Somali and Afghan origin – affecting business in the area and terrifying workers.
The situation has become so bad that Costa Coffee, Cranbrook Road, Ilford, is employing a security guard to protect the shop.
One worker said: “I am worried for my life. We have a security guard and CCTV but once I close the shop I am by myself.”
Other businesses have also spoken to the Recorder about the “frightening” situation, with one worker – too afraid to be named – saying he was living in a “permanent state of fear”.
You may also want to watch:
He said he had reported suspicious activity to police on several occasions, but had not seen any change.
Chamber of Commerce chairman Geoff Hill said the news was a “step backwards” for the town centre.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 5 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 6 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 9 From City Hall: Increase of council tax a slap in the face for every struggling Londoner
- 10 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
Read the full report in today’s Ilford Recorder.