‘Out of control’ behaviour as drugs users squat overnight in Ilford flats
- Credit: Archant
Residents of a block of flats say they are scared for the safety of their children after being threatened by addicts who are openly using drugs inside their building.
There are also health and safety concerns after the drug users smeared blood in the lift and stairway of the building in Blackthorn Road, Ilford last week.
The residents say the incidents have been going on for years and have reported the anti-social behaviour to police and JPW Real Estate, which manages the flats. They say that so far not enough has been done.
There are issues around one flat in particular where visitors are coming to buy drugs and then smoking inside the building and sleeping in the hallway only to be discovered by parents and children on their way to school in the morning.
One of the residents, who was not named for fear of reprisal, said: "While we have had this issue previously and it has been reported to the police several times it seems it is now getting out of control.
You may also want to watch:
"We are now finding syringes and blood stains throughout the building.
"This is extremely worrying and a serious health and safety concern especially with our children playing in and around the building."
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 4 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 9 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 10 Plans for retail park development move step closer
A resident called the police last month but there were no arrests at that time.
A spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Police said: "Police were called at 4.19pm on Saturday, February 22 to reports of anti-social behaviour at an address on Blackthorn Road, Ilford.
"Officers attended and spoke to the occupants. No offences were found to have been committed."
JPW managing director Simon Wainwright said the company is aware of anti-social behaviour taking place in the building and it informed police of the situation and immediately did a deep clean of the property after being notified of the blood stains last week.
Mr Wainwright said: "We are in the consultation process of looking into putting in enhanced CCTV in the building to help with this problem."
A Redbridge Council spokeswoman said: "The property management agent has informed the council of an ongoing issue with a property at this location, they advise us that court proceedings are in progress and assure us that the appropriate action is being taken."