Renewed Met appeal and reward for information on brutal shooting of Ilford doorman Christopher Lombard 20 years ago
- Credit: Archant
Detectives investigating the fatal shooting of Ilford nightclub doorman Christopher Lombard 20 years ago have once again appealed for information.
They have re-released CCTV footage of the attack, as well as pictures of the suspects, and there is a £20,000 reward available for information leading to the prosecution of Christopher’s murderers.
Christopher, 30, was working at the Island nightclub, in High Road, on December 1 1996, when he was gunned down in the foyer at 3.35am.
A few minutes earlier the two suspects had tried to get into the night, which was attended by around 1,600 people, but other clubbers had told them doors had closed at 3am.
They knocked on the door to get the attention of staff, and when Christopher and two other bouncers came over fired seven shots through the glass doors into the club.
You may also want to watch:
Christopher, of Green Lane, was hit several times and died of a gunshot wound in his head.
The men fled along Green Lane and got into a silver car parked between Connaught Lane and St Mary’s Road, which sped off towards Goodmayes.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 4 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 5 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 6 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
Despite the case being thoroughly investigated at the time and subsequent appeals, no one was ever charged.
Det Insp Rita Tierney said that in the years that have passed “it is likely that the gunman has told people about the incident”.
“I ask that anyone with information, no matter how small, contact us as soon as possible,” she continued.
“After all these years, Mr Lombard’s family deserves to know who took him from them.
“Christopher was a law-abiding man who was just doing his job that evening when he was brutally gunned down.
“It appears that the doormen were deliberately targeted – possibly because of an earlier incident between them and the suspects.”
The gunman is described as a very dark-skinned black man, aged 17 to 20 and 5ft 8ins, with hair shaved at the sides and closely cropped on top.
He had a small circular scar above his right eye and another circular scar to the right of his mouth. He wore a dark top or jacket.
A second suspect is described as being of Mediterranean appearance, possibly Greek or Turkish, aged 18 to 25 and between 5ft 9ins and 5ft 10ins.
He had dark hair and a moustache and wearing was a hat and light-coloured top or jacket.
Anyone who can help is asked to contact the Homicide and Major Crime Unit incident room on 020 8345 3868 or if you wish to remain anonymous Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.