Redbridge Review of the Year: March and April
The Queen’s visit to Ilford in her Diamond Jubilee year was one of the biggest – if not the biggest – event for the borough in 2012.
In part two of out six-part review of the year, we look back at that spring day which saw thousands of people come out to greet Her Majesty. To see a gallery of pictures from the day, click on the link at the top right of this page.
Thousands of people clutching cameras and Union Flags greeted the Queen with a huge roar as she stepped on Redbridge soil for the first time in a decade.
Her Majesty arrived at Valentines Mansion and Gardens on March 29, as part of her Diamond Jubilee tour of the UK.
Ilford Recorder reporter Jessica Earnshaw said: “After arriving at the park at what felt like the crack of dawn, in fact it was probably more like 7am, I already had a feeling of anticipation and excitement about seeing the Queen for the very first time.
“Visitors had already started gathering behind the cordon and as I spoke to them – their enthusiasm was overwhelming.
- 1 40 firefighters tackle blaze after boiler catches on fire
- 2 Wendy's Ilford: New opening date for High Road restaurant after delay
- 3 Woman arrested after crashing in garden wall in Woodford Green
- 4 Schools and staff across east London up for national awards
- 5 Dispersal order enforced in parts of Gants Hill, Clayhall and Barkingside
- 6 Wendy's to open Ilford restaurant next week
- 7 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 8 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
- 9 Jailed: 'Selfish' 135mph driver spotted speeding on M11 near Woodford
- 10 Ilford man dies after M11 crash near Chigwell
“As the Queen arrived and stepped out of her car, everyone broke into a rapturous cheer and strained to catch a glimpse. For those who got to meet Her Majesty, describing it as the best day of their lives, was the highlight for me.”
Also this month:
• Glasbury Activity Centre saved in 11th hour funding reprieve
• Doctor who raced from stands to pitch to help collapsed Fabrice Muamba works in Redbridge
• Three men found guilty of shooting six-year-old Thusha Kamaleswaran in aunt’s shop
• Britain’s Got Talent singing duo, Jonathan and Charlotte, stun crowd after being paired together at a Chigwell school.
Plans to host up to 3,000 people on Bancroft Rugby Club’s pitch during the Olympics were withdrawn after more than 120 objection letters were received.
Oxygen Events Services Ltd said they had withdrawn the application due to strong opposition from local residents.
Paul Edwards, managing director of Oxygen, said: “If we are not wanted then we won’t come, we are simply offering a service and doing our bit to make the Games a success.”
The licensing application stated the club grounds, on the Woodford Green/Buckhurst Hill border, would be used to accommodate staff working at the Olympic park.
Also this month:
• Pioneer Point workers say its construction has stalled
• Record breaker Fauja Singh completes London Marathon at 101 years of age
• The Great Water Divide: borough is split as lucky few escape hosepipe ban
• An eerie warning by pub ghost was ignored by Eva Hart’s dad ten days before they set sail on Titanic.