Redbridge police urge people from ethnic minority backgrounds to join force
- Credit: Archant
A police chief has launched an initiative to encourage people from ethnic minority backgrounds to join the force.
Redbridge borough commander Det Ch Supt Sue Williams is backing the scheme which offers practical help and advice to potential candidates who may need “extra support” before deciding to join up.
The initiative will see 20 participants given the opportunity to see first-hand how the Metropolitan Police operates.
Speaking on Time FM radio Det Ch Supt Williams said: “I want to help potential candidates who are thinking – ‘is policing the right job for me?’ – or who may be unsure due to peer or family pressure.
“Having an understanding of what the Met is all about may help potential candidates decide on whether policing is the right career for them.
You may also want to watch:
“Policing is a fantastic career, with opportunities to get involved with the local communities and for candidates to put their life skills to good use. Any practical help we can give to those thinking of a career in policing is time and effort well spent.”
Those who are successful at the recruitment stage can expect to be posted to Redbridge or neighbouring boroughs in east London.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 3 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 4 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 5 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 6 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
- 7 Political fight as council shifts money away from opposition party
- 8 Seven Kings novelist among winners of London Writers Awards
- 9 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Fly-tipping initiative at Redbridge Council up for national award
Any Redbridge resident interested in the scheme should email their details to Redbridge police at JIMailbox-.GPC@met.pnn.police.uk