Redbridge police urge people from ethnic minority backgrounds to join force
- Credit: Archant
A police chief has launched an initiative to encourage people from ethnic minority backgrounds to join the force.
Redbridge borough commander Det Ch Supt Sue Williams is backing the scheme which offers practical help and advice to potential candidates who may need “extra support” before deciding to join up.
The initiative will see 20 participants given the opportunity to see first-hand how the Metropolitan Police operates.
Speaking on Time FM radio Det Ch Supt Williams said: “I want to help potential candidates who are thinking – ‘is policing the right job for me?’ – or who may be unsure due to peer or family pressure.
“Having an understanding of what the Met is all about may help potential candidates decide on whether policing is the right career for them.
You may also want to watch:
“Policing is a fantastic career, with opportunities to get involved with the local communities and for candidates to put their life skills to good use. Any practical help we can give to those thinking of a career in policing is time and effort well spent.”
Those who are successful at the recruitment stage can expect to be posted to Redbridge or neighbouring boroughs in east London.
- 1 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 2 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 6 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 9 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
Any Redbridge resident interested in the scheme should email their details to Redbridge police at JIMailbox-.GPC@met.pnn.police.uk