Redbridge Police to film burglars and crime hotspots
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
In an effort to tackle burglary in the borough police officers will be overtly filming individuals suspected of burglary and attempting to burgle.
Precise details of the new scheme are waiting to be confirmed but the Recorder understands that officers will also be filming crime hotspots to act as a deterrent.
Sgt Matt Taylor, of Redbridge Proactive Task Force, said: “Burglary will not be tolerated in Redbridge.
“It is a very invasive, personal crime that can have long-lasting emotional effects on victims.
“Officers will be using this tactic to prevent burglary and disrupt any criminal activity found to be taking place in the borough.”
You may also want to watch:
The scheme began across the borough yesterday and will stop at 3:20pm on October 17.
Sgt Taylor added: “Filming will enable us to identify offences and capture evidence and act as a deterrent in hotspot areas.”
- 1 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 2 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after elderly woman dies in Clayhall
- 4 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 5 Redbridge pubs gear up for outdoor opening
- 6 Plans submitted for more than 500 homes on former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 7 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 8 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 9 Jailed: Seven Kings man gets 14 years for hammer attack
- 10 Prince Philip death: Redbridge pays tribute to Duke of Edinburgh
In the last 12 months burglary was the second most common crime in Redbridge, with 2,443 recorded incidents, after violence against the person.
Redbridge Police hope the recordings will help bring offenders to justice.
A police spokeswoman confirmed anyone who is filmed will be given a notice to explain the process.
What do you think of the new scheme? Vote in our poll or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a full on the filming see Thursday’s Recorder.