Redbridge Police to film burglars and crime hotspots
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
In an effort to tackle burglary in the borough police officers will be overtly filming individuals suspected of burglary and attempting to burgle.
Precise details of the new scheme are waiting to be confirmed but the Recorder understands that officers will also be filming crime hotspots to act as a deterrent.
Sgt Matt Taylor, of Redbridge Proactive Task Force, said: “Burglary will not be tolerated in Redbridge.
“It is a very invasive, personal crime that can have long-lasting emotional effects on victims.
“Officers will be using this tactic to prevent burglary and disrupt any criminal activity found to be taking place in the borough.”
You may also want to watch:
The scheme began across the borough yesterday and will stop at 3:20pm on October 17.
Sgt Taylor added: “Filming will enable us to identify offences and capture evidence and act as a deterrent in hotspot areas.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 5 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 9 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 10 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
In the last 12 months burglary was the second most common crime in Redbridge, with 2,443 recorded incidents, after violence against the person.
Redbridge Police hope the recordings will help bring offenders to justice.
A police spokeswoman confirmed anyone who is filmed will be given a notice to explain the process.
What do you think of the new scheme? Vote in our poll or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a full on the filming see Thursday’s Recorder.