Redbridge Police to film burglars and crime hotspots
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
In an effort to tackle burglary in the borough police officers will be overtly filming individuals suspected of burglary and attempting to burgle.
Precise details of the new scheme are waiting to be confirmed but the Recorder understands that officers will also be filming crime hotspots to act as a deterrent.
Sgt Matt Taylor, of Redbridge Proactive Task Force, said: “Burglary will not be tolerated in Redbridge.
“It is a very invasive, personal crime that can have long-lasting emotional effects on victims.
“Officers will be using this tactic to prevent burglary and disrupt any criminal activity found to be taking place in the borough.”
You may also want to watch:
The scheme began across the borough yesterday and will stop at 3:20pm on October 17.
Sgt Taylor added: “Filming will enable us to identify offences and capture evidence and act as a deterrent in hotspot areas.”
- 1 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 2 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 3 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 4 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 5 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman
- 6 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 7 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 8 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 9 Life sentence for Chigwell man convicted of murder
- 10 Council must pay £4,500 for failing disabled brothers
In the last 12 months burglary was the second most common crime in Redbridge, with 2,443 recorded incidents, after violence against the person.
Redbridge Police hope the recordings will help bring offenders to justice.
A police spokeswoman confirmed anyone who is filmed will be given a notice to explain the process.
What do you think of the new scheme? Vote in our poll or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a full on the filming see Thursday’s Recorder.