Redbridge homes targeted by police as eight arrested on suspicion of rape of girl under 16
Police investigating the alleged rape of a girl under 16 have targeted homes in Redbridge in a pre-planned operation this morning.
Detectives went to nine addresses in Redbridge, Havering and Newham at around 5am.
They also went to a house in Hertfordshire.
Eight men have been arrested on suspicion of the rape of a girl under 16.
The arrested men, who are in custody at an east London police station, are five 23-year-old men, two 24-year-old men and a 21-year-old man.
You may also want to watch:
The investigation was launched by detectives from the Metropolitan Police’s Sapphire Command following an allegation relating to alleged offences between May and November 2012.
Det Ch Insp Adam Lowe, from Sapphire Command, said: “These arrests are part of an investigation into rape and serious sexual assault carried out by a group of men in Newham and the wider east London area.
- 1 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 2 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
- 5 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 6 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 7 Chigwell school puts pupils' baking skills to the test
- 8 'Scrapping Universal Credit uplift will lead to poverty', MP says
- 9 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 10 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
“Our inquiries continue.”
Anyone with information should call police on 020 8217 6531 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
A quantity of cash was also seized from one address, and a quantity of drugs seized from another property, both in Newham.
A 26-year-old man and two woman aged 47 and 50 were arrested on suspicion of fraud.
The 47-year-old woman and the 26-year-old man were arrested in Newham while the 50-year-old woman was arrested in Redbridge.