Redbridge Council says it did not take sleeping bags from homeless
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge Council today said it has “no powers to remove or confiscate property from the homeless and has not done so”.
In a statement, the council said their cleansing officers were involved in an operation to tackle crime and anti-social behaviour at the request of the police.
The statement adds to the confusion over who was responsible for taking the sleeping bags from the rough sleepers last week.
In a statement last night, the borough commander Det Ch Supt Sue Williams said the council’s StreetScene staff “attended to remove discarded, soiled items which were a danger health”.
The council’s statement in full:
“Redbridge Council has no powers to remove or confiscate property from the homeless and has not done so.
“The council’s cleansing officers responded to a police request to clean up following their operation to tackle crime and anti-social behaviour.
- 1 Search continues for man who fled scene of Loxford stabbing
- 2 Update on search for older man walking barefoot along Chigwell Road
- 3 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 4 Missing man seen on Chigwell Road found 'safe and well'
- 5 Covid survivor, 16, urges people to get jabbed after months in hospital
- 6 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 7 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 10 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
“The council provides a range of help and support to homeless people, offering services which include temporary accommodation, a winter cold shelter, and an outreach support line for rough sleepers.
“We also work with our partners to provide rough sleepers with access to health care.
“We are sympathetic to those who find themselves homeless but we also understand the police’s responsibility to ensure that any negative impact of rough sleepers is reduced.”