Redbridge Council leader pleads with Home Office for more police following spate of violent burglaries
- Credit: Archant
Following the number of violent burglaries in Clayhall, the leader of Redbridge Council has written to the Home Secretary, MP Amber Rudd, asking for more police, and resources.
Cllr Jas Athwal was moved by residents at a Clayhall Community Centre meeting on Sunday (February 4) who said they were literally waiting for their turn to be attacked.
In the letter seen by the Recorder, Cllr Athwal said: “Over the weekend, a resident organised meeting held in our Clayhall Ward was attended by around 250+ residents with their children.
“The room was not large enough to accommodate the sheer size of numbers so we took the meeting outside to the playground, where for two hours residents, councillors and MPs talked in the bitter cold.
“If you looked into their eyes you would have seen the frustration, anger, but most importantly the sheer fear they are experiencing.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Athwal drew attention to Met Police crime data and said Redbridge had the highest rate of burglary across London over the festive period, with recent burglaries resulting in a child being attacked with a hammer.
He said it was not the kind of Britain we should be living in, in 2018.
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 10 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
“What is clear is police do not have the adequate resource to deal with this crime epidemic,” he continued.
“Therefore I plead with you to reverse the funding cuts that have been experienced by the police.
“Since 2010 around £1billion has been removed from the policing budget, with £400million in extra savings needing to be found on top of the £600m already cut.
“I also request additional support from the Home Office to both the council and police in providing the extra officers or financial support to help tackle the epidemic of crime in our borough.”
Mr Athwal also invited the Home Secretary to visit Redbridge “as a matter of urgency” to meet with Redbridge Council and residents who have had experienced the “terrible and callous crime in our borough”.
By travelling to the area, the council leader hopes the Home Secretary will be able to see the size of the challenge facing the police and residents of Redbridge.