Polly Chowdhury appears in court accused of murdering daughter, 8, in Chadwell Heath
- Credit: Archant
A Chadwell Heath mother accused of murdering her own daughter was remanded in custody today after a court hearing.
Polly Chowdhury, 34, appeared at the Old Bailey via video link from prison.
She is accused of murdering eight-year-old Ayesha Ali, who was found dead at their home on Thursday.
Ambulances were called to the flat in Bedwell Court, Broomfield Road, to reports of an injured child around 11.40am but Ayesha was pronounced dead at the scene.
Chowdhury was taken to hospital with minor injuries before being arrested and charged with murder. She will appear again at the Old Bailey on September 19.
You may also want to watch:
The results of a post-mortem examination have yet to be announced.
The flat has been sealed off with the windows boarded up. A neighbour, who did not want to be named, described Ayesha as a “lovely” little girl.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 6 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 7 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 10 Patients urged to avoid Whipps Cross A&E after flooding
She added: “She was so happy and skippy. They were very quiet.”
Another neighbour, who also did not want to be named, said another woman and a little boy, thought to be Ayesha’s brother, lived in the flat.
He added: “They just moved in a couple of months ago. I used to see her running around on the grass while the two women smoked.”
A note on flowers left outside the flat read: “In memory of a little girl whom I will never meet. From a neighbour. Rest in peace, amen.”