Police response to be reviewed after couple unpunished for public sex act in Wanstead
- Credit: Archant
Police have launched an internal review after a couple who were found romping in a park went unpunished.
No arrests were made after police stopped a man and woman having “loud sex” in George Green, Wanstead.
Officers were called to the scene at 7.20pm on Tuesday last week and spoke to a couple before asking them to leave.
Police then remained in the area and conducted patrols.
Witnesses claimed the couple were having sex on a park bench visible from roads and bus stops and that “sex sounds” were audible.
You may also want to watch:
Ch Insp Rick Tyson said: “We are conducting an internal review into the appropriateness of the police response. We have had no previous reports of this type of incident taking place at George Green. We will however be speaking to witnesses, looking at mobile phone footage and speaking with local residents to address any concerns.”
Cllr Sheila Bain who represents Wanstead, said: “They weren’t arrested on the spot and that’s a concern. Why weren’t they cautioned? That’s something that needs looking at and it’s something I will be taking up with police at our regular police meetings.”
- 1 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 2 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 5 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 6 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 7 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 10 Women use experiences to offer safety insights about Redbridge
Cllr Bain said of the incident: “It’s just outrageous – I haven’t come across anything like it before in my time living here.
“It’s quite surprising to hear that people witnessed it too. Obviously, I’m very concerned that something like this has happened here. Let’s just hope it’s an isolated incident.”
Witness to the x-rated episode Snaresbrook’s Cllr Colin Cronin tweeted: “Sizzling Wanstead nights. Metropolitan Police have had to break up a couple in flagrante in the middle of George Green just now!”
He tweeted later: “Public indecency should not be tolerated by parents, public or police.”