Police release graphic image of woman after father-in-law’s ‘frenzied’ attack
- Credit: Archant
Police have today released this image of the injuries sustained in a 51-year-old grandfather’s “frenzied” attack on his daughter-in-law - an assault triggered by a belief she was being unfaithful to his son.
Manjit Singh Mirgind, of Mayfield Avenue, attacked Jageer Mirgind in her Ilford home on December 18 last year. Her young children - his grandchildren - witnessed the entire horrfying attack, pleading with him to stop and take them to school.
Mirgind was jailed for 10 years and eight months at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday following the attack in which he repeatedly stabbed the mother-of-two in the face as he screamed he was going to kill her. He had pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent.
Jageer has been left partially-blind by the assault, in which Mirgind also tried to gouge her eyes out, and has scars on arms and face.
Det Insp John Delaney, of Redbridge Police Community Safety Unit, said: “The psychological effects on the victim in this case will remain long after her wounds have healed.
You may also want to watch:
“When Manjit Mirgind launched this attack he was acting in the misguided name of ‘honour’, spurred on by a false belief that his daughter-in-law was having an affair with a man of another faith.
“The victim sustained an unprovoked, frenzied attack by a trusted family member in her own home which has resulted in her sustaining life changing injuries.
- 1 Surplus of primary school places now but shortage expected within 10 years
- 2 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 3 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 4 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 7 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 8 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 9 Life sentence for Chigwell man convicted of murder
- 10 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman
“She has shown tremendous courage and resilience in dealing with this incident, which has not only affected her but two extended families within her community.”