Police investigating after tree surgeon trio charged Woodford Green pensioners £10,000 to cut down tree
- Credit: Contact Lorraine Steward on email@example.com
Police investigating after three men allegedly took advantage of an elderly Woodford Green couple and charged them £10,000 for cutting down a tree.
The group of men carried out the work in Hillside Avenue a few weeks ago (Thursday, November 29) and originally charged the elderly couple £1,400, but then when the 80-year-old woman went upstairs to get cash to pay the workmen the price changed to more than £10,000.
A flyer had been put through the couple’s door a few weeks before, and she rang them and asked if they could cut down a small tree in her garden.
According to the victim the men had agreed a price of £1,400 for the work, but when they saw her go to get cash from a bag upstairs they said the cost of the work was actually going to be closer to £10,000.
The daughter of the elderly couple, Donna Else DeVare, said: “Elderly people need to be warned about these types of things.
You may also want to watch:
“They are the most vulnerable and it can happen to anyone.
“These men knew what they were doing, they didn’t even have any of the tea and cakes that my mum made for them, and they took the flyer that they posted through her door.
- 1 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 2 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 5 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 6 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 7 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 10 Women use experiences to offer safety insights about Redbridge
“They made her write a note saying that the money had been given to a friend who did the work, and said it was so she didn’t have to pay any more money.”
Officers are investigating and no arrests have been made.