Police investigating after tree surgeon trio charged Woodford Green pensioners £10,000 to cut down tree
- Credit: Contact Lorraine Steward on firstname.lastname@example.org
Police investigating after three men allegedly took advantage of an elderly Woodford Green couple and charged them £10,000 for cutting down a tree.
The group of men carried out the work in Hillside Avenue a few weeks ago (Thursday, November 29) and originally charged the elderly couple £1,400, but then when the 80-year-old woman went upstairs to get cash to pay the workmen the price changed to more than £10,000.
A flyer had been put through the couple’s door a few weeks before, and she rang them and asked if they could cut down a small tree in her garden.
According to the victim the men had agreed a price of £1,400 for the work, but when they saw her go to get cash from a bag upstairs they said the cost of the work was actually going to be closer to £10,000.
The daughter of the elderly couple, Donna Else DeVare, said: “Elderly people need to be warned about these types of things.
“They are the most vulnerable and it can happen to anyone.
“These men knew what they were doing, they didn’t even have any of the tea and cakes that my mum made for them, and they took the flyer that they posted through her door.
- 1 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 2 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 3 Mercato Metropolitano to host taster market in Ilford
- 4 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 5 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 Thief threatened woman with bottle at Ilford High Road Sainsbury's Local
- 8 Festivities planned to mark Ilford's Christmas lights switch-on
- 9 Two more men charged with murder after fatal stabbing of teen in Loxford
- 10 Trust admits 'still more to do' despite diagnostic imaging improvements
“They made her write a note saying that the money had been given to a friend who did the work, and said it was so she didn’t have to pay any more money.”
Officers are investigating and no arrests have been made.