Burglars escape police after reportedly driving stolen car through Barkingside shop front
- Credit: Archant
Burglars are believed to have driven a stolen Ford Fiesta through a Barkingside shop front before making off with designer clothing and ramming a police car during their getaway.
Police were called to reports of a burglary at Spirit designerwear, in High Street, at around 4.10am on Thursday, April 25.
“A vehicle was believed to have driven into the front of the shop, causing considerable damage to the glass frontage,” a Met police spokeswoman said.
She added that officers were tipped off about a Ford Fiesta believed to have been involved in the incident while travelling to the scene.
“The vehicle refused to stop for police and made off,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“It then rammed into the police vehicle before stopping in Roding Valley Way [in Wanstead].”
The suspects abandoned the car and ran off.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 8 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
Officers searched the area with the assistance of dogs and a police helicopter but there was no trace of them.
The car has been recovered and has been identified as previously stolen, police confirmed.
There have been no arrests and inquiries continue.
Photos taken of the shop front on Thursday show its window and shutter completely missing.
The Recorder spoke to the shop’s owner who did not wish to comment.
Contact police with information on 101 quoting 778/25APR.