Burglars escape police after reportedly driving stolen car through Barkingside shop front
- Credit: Archant
Burglars are believed to have driven a stolen Ford Fiesta through a Barkingside shop front before making off with designer clothing and ramming a police car during their getaway.
Police were called to reports of a burglary at Spirit designerwear, in High Street, at around 4.10am on Thursday, April 25.
“A vehicle was believed to have driven into the front of the shop, causing considerable damage to the glass frontage,” a Met police spokeswoman said.
She added that officers were tipped off about a Ford Fiesta believed to have been involved in the incident while travelling to the scene.
“The vehicle refused to stop for police and made off,” she said.
“It then rammed into the police vehicle before stopping in Roding Valley Way [in Wanstead].”
The suspects abandoned the car and ran off.
- 1 Newbury Park grass fire sees homes evacuated
- 2 Community opposition to Hainault bank closure
- 3 Ilford fast food restaurant permitted to open later
- 4 Convicted killer 'attacked sister-in-law after repeated threats', court hears
- 5 Fairlop man locked up for rabbi assault
- 6 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 Councils get cash to tackle chewing gum on high streets
- 9 Jailed: Ilford fraudster involved in £13m Ponzi scheme through property fraud
- 10 Five tower blocks included in housing plans for Sainsbury's in Ilford
Officers searched the area with the assistance of dogs and a police helicopter but there was no trace of them.
The car has been recovered and has been identified as previously stolen, police confirmed.
There have been no arrests and inquiries continue.
Photos taken of the shop front on Thursday show its window and shutter completely missing.
The Recorder spoke to the shop’s owner who did not wish to comment.
Contact police with information on 101 quoting 778/25APR.