Police at scene of Doctor Johnson pub, Barkingside taken over by squatters
- Credit: Archant
Police are at the scene of a derelict Grade II listed pub in Barkingside which squatters have taken over.
The co-ordinator of the squatters - known only as “Gee” - says the group of around “four or five” people wish to host art events at The Doctor Johnson pub in Longwood Gardens if they can strike an agreement with the building’s owner to be allowed to stay.
Speaking to the Recorder, Gee, 41, who lives near to the pub, said: “The squatters came on Sunday (11) and we swept the front of the building just to let residents know something is being done about the mess.”
Gee claims to represent a group called Suspenses Property Guardians.
It is unclear how long the building has been derelict for, but residents believe it is “at least three years”.
You may also want to watch:
Business owner Sharon May, 53, who runs cafe Freshly Made, opposite the pub, called the situation “an absolute tragedy”.
She also added: “It is absolute tragedy to see such a beautiful building in such disrepair.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 3 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 4 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 5 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 6 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 7 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 9 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 10 Plans for retail park development move step closer
“Everyone in the area talks about. It is turning into a slum - it is a shame.”
Police attended the scene this morning where a security firm were also present.