Mum horrified to find pin concealed in strawberry from Barkingside Sainsbury’s
- Credit: Archant
A mum was shocked to find a pin stuck in a strawberry she was about to feed to her three-year-old twin boys but luckily no one was injured.
Sainsbury's said it is urgently investigating the incident. The strawberries were bought at the Barkingside store in Tanners Lane on Monday, January 13.
Sarah Mackie, 35, of Loughton, gave half the strawberries to her boys on Monday evening and put the remaining fruit in the fridge.
On Tuesday when she went to cut the last strawberry she was horrified to discover there was a pin neatly stuck inside it.
Sarah told the Recorder: "I was shocked at first and then I got really angry.
You may also want to watch:
"How does a pin perfectly embed itself in the middle of a strawberry? Why would someone want to harm a complete stranger?"
Luckily Sarah discovered the needle before giving the strawberry to her twins. She said the package didn't appear to be damaged or tampered with.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 4 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 5 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 8 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
- 9 Need for Frenford Foodbank won't end when pandemic does, say volunteers
- 10 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
She called Sainsbury's who told her to return the fruit to the store so it could look into the matter but she wasn't happy staff didn't take down her information in case they needed more details about what happened.
She emailed the chief executive and Sainsbury's told her it is taking the matter very seriously and would get back to her within four weeks with its findings.
The store told her it appeared to be an isolated incident,
After inspecting the tainted fruit Sarah noticed that the area around the pin had started to rot which makes her suspect it had been sitting in there for some time.
She said there was no sign of anything sticking out of the fruit since the pin appeared to be inserted in the stem and was covered by the leafs.
She posted pictures of the incident on Facebook to warn people to be vigilant in case any other fruit has been tampered with.
"My main concern is to let people know so they can be careful and prevent any injuries. I don't know if it's a one-off thing or something more sinister."