Pilot praises Barkingside dog-walker who recovered stolen documents
- Credit: Archant
A trainee pilot is offering a reward for information leading to the return of a bag containing sensitive documents after it was stolen from his car in Barkingside.
Joseph Hayat, 23, parked his car in Barkingside High Street on Thursday afternoon, but came back to find thieves had broken in and steal his grey laptop and flight bag.
The bag contained aircraft manuals, flight charts and other sensitive documents that could have posed a security risk if they had fallen into the wrong hands.
“Someone could have pretended to be me, got into a light aircraft and done whatever they wanted with it,” Mr Hayat said.
He added: “This was a cowardly, yet sophisticated way to rob me.
You may also want to watch:
“The laptop remains stolen and I’m offering a financial reward for any information that leads to the conviction of these criminals. I wish I’d had the chance to confront the shameful individual.
“This is either a professional criminal operation or an illegal attempt to interfere and disrupt my work.”
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 4 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 5 Wanstead Market set to re-open
- 6 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 7 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Music from Jessie J and Olly Murs to feature in new musical in Romford
- 10 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
On Thursday evening, he received a call from a man who said his dog had found the flight bag on Tomswood Hill, barely a mile from where the theft had occurred.
Mr Hayat said: “I’m very happy it’s been recovered. Community champions like this are very rare.”
The laptop has a distinct dent on its lid due to frequent flying.