Pilot praises Barkingside dog-walker who recovered stolen documents
- Credit: Archant
A trainee pilot is offering a reward for information leading to the return of a bag containing sensitive documents after it was stolen from his car in Barkingside.
Joseph Hayat, 23, parked his car in Barkingside High Street on Thursday afternoon, but came back to find thieves had broken in and steal his grey laptop and flight bag.
The bag contained aircraft manuals, flight charts and other sensitive documents that could have posed a security risk if they had fallen into the wrong hands.
“Someone could have pretended to be me, got into a light aircraft and done whatever they wanted with it,” Mr Hayat said.
He added: “This was a cowardly, yet sophisticated way to rob me.
You may also want to watch:
“The laptop remains stolen and I’m offering a financial reward for any information that leads to the conviction of these criminals. I wish I’d had the chance to confront the shameful individual.
“This is either a professional criminal operation or an illegal attempt to interfere and disrupt my work.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 5 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 6 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 9 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
- 10 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
On Thursday evening, he received a call from a man who said his dog had found the flight bag on Tomswood Hill, barely a mile from where the theft had occurred.
Mr Hayat said: “I’m very happy it’s been recovered. Community champions like this are very rare.”
The laptop has a distinct dent on its lid due to frequent flying.