Pictured: Ilford High Road murder victim who was beaten to death
- Credit: UKNIP
The man who was beaten to death on Sunday morning in Ilford has been named locally as Sorin Serbu.
It is believed he was returning home from a night out at Global Bar Club, in High Road, when he was set upon by a gang and killed.
At the crime scene on Sunday, officers recovered a bright blue pickaxe handle and two cars, including a silver Mercedes, were seized for forensic examination.
Emergency services rushed to the junction of High Road and Connaught Road at 2.38am on Sunday morning but Sorin later died at a hospital in east London.
The incident is believed to have been caught on council CCTV which alerted the emergency services to the attack.
You may also want to watch:
Sorin, from Bralia, Romania, sustained fatal injuries in the “brutal and prolonged attack” , said DCI Paul Considine.
He added: “This was a brutal and prolonged attack on an individual by a group of up to five people.
- 1 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 2 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 5 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 6 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 7 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 10 Women use experiences to offer safety insights about Redbridge
“I would like to appeal to anyone in Ilford High Road, near the junction with Connaught Road, at the time of the attack to get in touch and speak with my team.
“This investigation is still at its early stages and it is vital we speak to witnesses and others who have information about what took place but are yet to come forward.”
It is believed that there were people at the scene who filmed the incident and Mr Considine has appealed for witnesses to get in touch.
He said: “I would also like to appeal to anyone who may have captured footage from the scene to contact police. Your footage may hold vital evidence and you may well have captured the suspects at the scene or running away.
No arrests have been made at this time. Inquiries continue.
Anyone with any footage from the scene can upload it here: ukpoliceimageappeal.com