Pictured: Chigwell man killed protecting store from being robbed
- Credit: Archant
Police have released a photograph of a Chigwell man who died trying to prevent a gang of men armed with metal bars from robbing his cash and carry.
Father-of-two Shammi Atwal, 45, was killed when one of the men pushed him in front of a moving lorry in River Road, Barking, at about 10.20am on Monday.
Ambulance crews pronounced Mr Atwal dead at the scene near his Glenn and Co cash and carry just after 11am, and treated his wife, 37, for minor injuries.
Det Ch Insp Neale Baldock, of the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “He acted bravely in defence of his wife and managed to chase the robbers from his premises only for him to be pushed in front of a moving lorry.
“People in the community know who committed this appalling and cowardly crime and I would urge them to contact my officers.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who was in the area at the time, or who has information about the incident, should call police on 020 8345 1570 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 10 Plans for retail park development move step closer