Pictured: Chigwell man killed protecting store from being robbed
- Credit: Archant
Police have released a photograph of a Chigwell man who died trying to prevent a gang of men armed with metal bars from robbing his cash and carry.
Father-of-two Shammi Atwal, 45, was killed when one of the men pushed him in front of a moving lorry in River Road, Barking, at about 10.20am on Monday.
Ambulance crews pronounced Mr Atwal dead at the scene near his Glenn and Co cash and carry just after 11am, and treated his wife, 37, for minor injuries.
Det Ch Insp Neale Baldock, of the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “He acted bravely in defence of his wife and managed to chase the robbers from his premises only for him to be pushed in front of a moving lorry.
“People in the community know who committed this appalling and cowardly crime and I would urge them to contact my officers.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who was in the area at the time, or who has information about the incident, should call police on 020 8345 1570 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 3 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 5 Wanstead wine expert launches new shop
- 6 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Ilford?
- 7 Young Citizen: 'Our community needs us the most right now', says Mutual Aid volunteer
- 8 Calls to extend school streets consultation
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims