Pictured: Chigwell man killed protecting store from being robbed
- Credit: Archant
Police have released a photograph of a Chigwell man who died trying to prevent a gang of men armed with metal bars from robbing his cash and carry.
Father-of-two Shammi Atwal, 45, was killed when one of the men pushed him in front of a moving lorry in River Road, Barking, at about 10.20am on Monday.
Ambulance crews pronounced Mr Atwal dead at the scene near his Glenn and Co cash and carry just after 11am, and treated his wife, 37, for minor injuries.
Det Ch Insp Neale Baldock, of the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “He acted bravely in defence of his wife and managed to chase the robbers from his premises only for him to be pushed in front of a moving lorry.
“People in the community know who committed this appalling and cowardly crime and I would urge them to contact my officers.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who was in the area at the time, or who has information about the incident, should call police on 020 8345 1570 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 5 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 6 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 7 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
- 8 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 9 Redbridge ranked second most hygienic London borough for nightlife
- 10 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out