Pictured: Chigwell man killed protecting store from being robbed
- Credit: Archant
Police have released a photograph of a Chigwell man who died trying to prevent a gang of men armed with metal bars from robbing his cash and carry.
Father-of-two Shammi Atwal, 45, was killed when one of the men pushed him in front of a moving lorry in River Road, Barking, at about 10.20am on Monday.
Ambulance crews pronounced Mr Atwal dead at the scene near his Glenn and Co cash and carry just after 11am, and treated his wife, 37, for minor injuries.
Det Ch Insp Neale Baldock, of the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “He acted bravely in defence of his wife and managed to chase the robbers from his premises only for him to be pushed in front of a moving lorry.
“People in the community know who committed this appalling and cowardly crime and I would urge them to contact my officers.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who was in the area at the time, or who has information about the incident, should call police on 020 8345 1570 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 8 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones