Patches of blood in the snow after man stabbed 10 times in Ilford

Police are investigating a stabbing which occured on Ilford Lane by the junction of Wingate Road

Police are investigating a stabbing which occured on Ilford Lane by the junction of Wingate Road - Credit: Archant

Residents are concerned about the number of stabbings in Ilford after a man was knifed 10 times last night.

Police were called to the incident at the junction of Wingate Road and Ilford Lane at 10.55pm last night (Thursday, March 1) after a 28-year-old man suffered 10 stab wounds.

One resident said that he was woken up by police sirens, and that officers cordoned off part of the road.

He said: “Its shocking to hear that this has happened, but there have been a number of stabbings and incidents like this in the area over the last few months so it isn’t really such a big surprise.

“I just hope the man gets better.

“My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

“It’s a sorry situation to be in that crime like this is happening more and more around here.”

Most Read

The resident said that police set up a tent and cordoned off the road from one set of traffic lights, down to the flats on Ilford Lane.

Five police cars also attended the scene along with a forensic team.

Patches of blood could be seen in the snow on both sides of the road.

He added: “He was sat on the other side of the road when I looked out my window.

“He was slumped over but I didn’t hear any screams or anything.”

Another shopkeeper who has a business opposite where the incident happened told the Recorder: “We were closed when it happened, but I saw the snapped police cordon tape this morning and was wondering why it was there.”

A police spokesman said that the man was then taken to hospital where his condition is reported as being serious but not life threatening, and that his next of kin has been notified and are with him at the hospital.

Detectives from East Area Command Unit investigate have said that they retain an open mind as to motive.

There have been no arrests at this time.

Det Con Kirk Patson investigating said: “It was sheer luck that the victim in this case wasn’t fatally wounded.

“I urge any witnesses to come forward and speak with police. If you are reluctant to contact officers direct call anonymously via Crimestoppers, but please do make the call.”