‘Other plans will be considered’ after bid to demolish Seven Kings church thrown out
The superintendent of a church in Seven Kings which had its redevelopment plans rejected by Redbridge Council, has said other ideas will now be looked at.
Steve Poole, from Seven Kings Methodist Church, Balmoral Gardens said he would not be appealing against the decision made earlier this month.
The plans included demolishing the church to make way for a smaller church with flats and a caf�.
Mr Poole said: “We are going to ask the local authority as to why they have refused the planning permission – they have suddenly classed it as a land make building.”
One of the factors in deciding to redevelop the site was poor disabled access and low congregation numbers on Sundays.
You may also want to watch:
“Sometimes it’s cheaper to demolish and start again than to make alterations to the building,” he added. “Other plans will be considered.”
The plans were met with opposition from members of the community with a petition gaining about 2,000 signatures.
- 1 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 2 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 3 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 4 Ilford business owners adjust to new world on reopening
- 5 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 6 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 7 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 10 Temporary post office to open in South Woodford
Mr Poole said: “The church has been quite moved and grateful for the interest shown by the local community.”