‘Other plans will be considered’ after bid to demolish Seven Kings church thrown out
The superintendent of a church in Seven Kings which had its redevelopment plans rejected by Redbridge Council, has said other ideas will now be looked at.
Steve Poole, from Seven Kings Methodist Church, Balmoral Gardens said he would not be appealing against the decision made earlier this month.
The plans included demolishing the church to make way for a smaller church with flats and a caf�.
Mr Poole said: “We are going to ask the local authority as to why they have refused the planning permission – they have suddenly classed it as a land make building.”
One of the factors in deciding to redevelop the site was poor disabled access and low congregation numbers on Sundays.
You may also want to watch:
“Sometimes it’s cheaper to demolish and start again than to make alterations to the building,” he added. “Other plans will be considered.”
The plans were met with opposition from members of the community with a petition gaining about 2,000 signatures.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
Mr Poole said: “The church has been quite moved and grateful for the interest shown by the local community.”