Redbridge men fined for trying to have sex with Ilford prostitutes
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
More than a dozen men – most of them from Redbridge – were fined for trying to buy sex at the weekend.
Redbridge is the first borough in the country to issue fines for sleeping with a prostitute after a historic problem with sex workers in parts of Ilford.
Redbridge Council ran a joint operation in Ilford Lane with the police and local authority enforcement officers between Friday, February 1 and Sunday, February 3 to tackle the problem.
The team issued 16 fixed penalty notices to men trying to buy sex and gave out eight police cautions.
They also used automatic number plate recognition cameras to monitor the cars going along the road.
You may also want to watch:
“We are sending a clear message to the users, women and those who control them,” said Councillor Jas Athwal, leader of Redbridge Council.
“Our residents should feel safe and comfortable to walk the streets of Redbridge and collectively we will not tolerate this behaviour.
- 1 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 2 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 4 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 9 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 10 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
“We all need to play a part and the men who use the prostitutes are mostly local, if they go away then so will the women.”