Redbridge men fined for trying to have sex with Ilford prostitutes
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
More than a dozen men – most of them from Redbridge – were fined for trying to buy sex at the weekend.
Redbridge is the first borough in the country to issue fines for sleeping with a prostitute after a historic problem with sex workers in parts of Ilford.
Redbridge Council ran a joint operation in Ilford Lane with the police and local authority enforcement officers between Friday, February 1 and Sunday, February 3 to tackle the problem.
The team issued 16 fixed penalty notices to men trying to buy sex and gave out eight police cautions.
They also used automatic number plate recognition cameras to monitor the cars going along the road.
You may also want to watch:
“We are sending a clear message to the users, women and those who control them,” said Councillor Jas Athwal, leader of Redbridge Council.
“Our residents should feel safe and comfortable to walk the streets of Redbridge and collectively we will not tolerate this behaviour.
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 5 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 6 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 7 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 8 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 9 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
“We all need to play a part and the men who use the prostitutes are mostly local, if they go away then so will the women.”