Redbridge men fined for trying to have sex with Ilford prostitutes
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
More than a dozen men – most of them from Redbridge – were fined for trying to buy sex at the weekend.
Redbridge is the first borough in the country to issue fines for sleeping with a prostitute after a historic problem with sex workers in parts of Ilford.
Redbridge Council ran a joint operation in Ilford Lane with the police and local authority enforcement officers between Friday, February 1 and Sunday, February 3 to tackle the problem.
The team issued 16 fixed penalty notices to men trying to buy sex and gave out eight police cautions.
They also used automatic number plate recognition cameras to monitor the cars going along the road.
“We are sending a clear message to the users, women and those who control them,” said Councillor Jas Athwal, leader of Redbridge Council.
“Our residents should feel safe and comfortable to walk the streets of Redbridge and collectively we will not tolerate this behaviour.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Police no longer looking for man wanted in connection with assault
- 4 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 5 'There was no life without resistance': World War Two veteran dies aged 94
- 6 Dog units 'really good tool' to help police tackle violent crime, officers say
- 7 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 8 Driver charged in connection with fatal collision on M11 due in court
- 9 Bus timetable change to 'better align' with hospital shifts
- 10 Ex football boss sets up fans club to increase diversity at England games
“We all need to play a part and the men who use the prostitutes are mostly local, if they go away then so will the women.”